1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips WARNING: Be careful what you install

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hawker, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Always read what permissions an app is requesting before you dive in without thinking and click that install button.

Use common sense, and think why would this app need a certain permisson.
    Eg. If your installing a live wallpaper, why does it require access to root or calls perhaps.

Disturbing article. Click to read

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    hawker, I already warned you about, "Hot Asian Babes Chatline". :D

Seriously though, always check, not only the app's you download but also the updates as well.

The best advice for all users is given in this thread by alostpacket, which should be the "Holy Grail" for anyone installing app's:-

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html

The best form of protection, as always, is by not being stupid!

3. Burner2004

Burner2004 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Male
    Lawyer
    If anyone has heard anything about a specific application from the market please write it here so we can all be informed.

My Opinion on the matter (of recording actual calls):
    I suppose only SGS 2 users are 10 million and may be other 20million of other phones users , using market and application, if you gather 50,000 users calls and upload them, who will listen to Billions of hours of "horny" talks.
    In order for this to work u need a special filter which will filter the words from all calls, but this to happen we are talking about super-duper CIA or NSA capabilities and "terminator" technology.
    I do not think that this is a danger for the everyday "normal" user who speaks with his girlfriend and mother.
    The funny thing is : "yes" they will get your conversations! The question is "so what" !? Anyway the chance is that few super powerful Government organizations are already scanning all calls through satellites for wording, so if someone wants to record my conversations ok, be my guest.

Do not understand me wrong, yes I care about privacy but People on earth are 6 billion (may be almost 7) so who do you think really cares about everyday calls. If someone is monitoring whatever it is they will be interested to listen to the calls of head of State or something not people between 13-30 years of age.

The only really personal thing "for me" are passwords, codes for credit Cards, bank accounts and things connected to people stealing money from you, which u can always check with e-banking.

About "alostpacket" and his quide -> The best thing for everyone to know. A must read !!! Totally agree with "ironass".

That is all :)

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I think the point of highlighting this "call recording" malware was to illustrate how little attention users pay to app permissions, no matter how obviously out-of-place they appear. All malware is a potential security risk; the call recorder may be of trivial concern but it might also create a backdoor for something worse. ;)

5. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

read permissions, and also read reviews.. especially those by more advanced users.. opens ur eyes to stuff a new user might miss :)