• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning: before you buy a Moto G...

Snafuy

Jun 9, 2010
In general, the Moto G is a great phone. It's sturdy, plenty fast, good camera, better battery life than my spouse's iPhone 6. Amazing value for the money.

But... it has one significant omission, a part left out, presumably as a cost-cutting measure: motion sensors.

This means you can't use it with Google Cardboard or similar VR systems. And you can't use it with AR games, such as camera mode in Pokémon Go. Caveat Emptor.

It has 2 accelerometers and no gyroscope... the gyroscope is the key to AR like Pokemon Go and Google Cardboard. At this point if I bought I new device I would go Moto G 4th Gen, it has the gyroscope and all necessary sensors for AR functionality.

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon, although it DOES have a gyroscope, the G4 still lacks a Compass/Magnetometer which may be a problem but nothing I see makes it deal breaker (you just won't get things like auto orientation in Ingress)

Upvote 0
Well, took a chance and bought it. My two biggest gripes are that it gets a bit hot in a short time and the camera blows.

It does have a beautiful display, battery seems good, clean stripped OS and it feels good in my hand. Just the right size.

Too bad tho, I'd sacrifice the extra gig of RAM for a better camera. The lack of sensors is no biggie, but when compounded with the crappy camera and heating problem, kinda made it a lousy phone to me. I could've grabbed a food stamp phone off of a quickie Mart shelf that works better.

Upvote 0
Well, took a chance and bought it. My two biggest gripes are that it gets a bit hot in a short time and the camera blows.

It does have a beautiful display, battery seems good, clean stripped OS and it feels good in my hand. Just the right size.

Too bad tho, I'd sacrifice the extra gig of RAM for a better camera. The lack of sensors is no biggie, but when compounded with the crappy camera and heating problem, kinda made it a lousy phone to me. I could've grabbed a food stamp phone off of a quickie Mart shelf that works better.
That's odd... I find the camera to be quite good, and most people and reviewers agree it is a good, although not exc eptional, camera. For the heating, when is the last time you did a cache wipe or factory reset, as this is not normal either.

Upvote 0
I'm comparing picture quality to the 13 MP camera on my old LG Stylo. It didn't take the absolute best pics, but pretty close. I thought Motorola's camera would be at least same or better than the LG.

As for the heating problem....? Don't think a reset is gonna do anything, this happened right out of a sealed box while setting up my account.

I'll give it another day. I really do love the display on this phone and it runs smooth. But dat camera... ehhh

Reactions: acejavelin
Upvote 0
I'm comparing picture quality to the 13 MP camera on my old LG Stylo. It didn't take the absolute best pics, but pretty close. I thought Motorola's camera would be at least same or better than the LG.

As for the heating problem....? Don't think a reset is gonna do anything, this happened right out of a sealed box while setting up my account.

I'll give it another day. I really do love the display on this phone and it runs smooth. But dat camera... ehhh
Sounds like you may have gotten a bum unit... :(

I would try the cache wipe though, it won't help with the camera, but may with the heating. Personally, I would look for the source of the heating, it is almost always an app that is holding the wakelock and running full tilt in the background. Battery monitor usually shows it as a big battery user. Of course, if it's a hardware problem, no software change will fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones