• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WARNING: before you flash your radios, read this thread!!!!

i am so confused.. i dont know what to do..i got the new pc36img downloaded.. but dont want to flash it, as i dont know what will happen, i am slowly starting to figure out how to flash it.. but now yall say dont do it..
The key is before you flash, do a full NAND back up. This means when you boot to the recovery screen (Power + VOL - button), go to recovery screen, choose "back / restore" and do a full back up.

Then flash away, you should be fine.

This thread only affects those who plan to flash radios. PC36IMG is a ROM, not the radio file.

Upvote 0
Yeah you can flash the radios either way. I prefer the pc36 method because I get to flash the combo all i
at once that way. There are multiple ways to flash files and multiples ways to flash the same file. For instance your recovery.img can be flashed in hboot or packaged and flashed in recovery or flashed in cmd prompt like te or adb.

You can take and img and package it to flash in recovery rather easily it just needs the script. It's all just different ways of getting something flashed to a certain partition. Some need flashed presystem in hboot and it purely flashes images. Recovery is a small sort of OS that does specific tasks like cp mv etc and is more versatile than hboot as it can flash basically anything to any partition meaning it isn't restricted to just img files.

Your pc36 file will just have a text and a .img in it while your .zip for recovery will include the actual files or .img but will also include a script which depending on whether it is edify or amend will be a binary and updater (edify) or just update (amend) this scripts tells recovery where to move the package files to and usually to delete what was there. You can change amend to edify and vice versa also.

This is too long I feel. So that's it for now...

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
Can some one walk me through reverting back to my old radios?

I was on a rooted stock 2.2 Evo, moved to the rooted 2.3 image, then decided to update my radios (as some found they had better battery life with them). Since then, my 4G will not turn on (when I select it, 4G attempts to turn on, then turns off then back on again, cycling over and over, killing the battery), because its in the middle of turning the radio on, the only way for me to turn it off is to pull the battery. I also am getting horrendous WiFi reception (in sections of my house where I had not problem getting a wifi signal, I now have no signal)

I would like to revert back to the stock radios I had on 2.2.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So as long as I have a good nandroid backup of any previous rom and I flash new radios I can always recover my wimax keys from one of those backups?

I've been thinking about flashing the new radios, I am currently running mik's 2.3 rom. Because my signal has been spotty, and my 3g goes into 1x alot more. My wifes phone always has a better signal, and never drops into 1x, she has the lastest htc/sprint update 2.3 on her non-rooted evo.

Would flashing these new radios help me out with my issues?

Would I be better off flashing the combo update?

Upvote 0
So as long as I have a good nandroid backup of any previous rom and I flash new radios I can always recover my wimax keys from one of those backups?

I've been thinking about flashing the new radios, I am currently running mik's 2.3 rom. Because my signal has been spotty, and my 3g goes into 1x alot more. My wifes phone always has a better signal, and never drops into 1x, she has the lastest htc/sprint update 2.3 on her non-rooted evo.

Would flashing these new radios help me out with my issues?

Would I be better off flashing the combo update?

yes that is correct about your wimax keys. i always have at least one backup with my wimax keys backed up on my computer.

flashing the new radios might help. i flashed the radio combo and did not see really any much difference. i did downgrade my pri to 1.77. seems to give me a bit better battery life.

Upvote 0
yes that is correct about your wimax keys. i always have at least one backup with my wimax keys backed up on my computer.

flashing the new radios might help. i flashed the radio combo and did not see really any much difference. i did downgrade my pri to 1.77. seems to give me a bit better battery life.

I have like 10 backups on my computer/flash drive...so hopefully one of those is ok. They were made using clockwork mod v.2.6.0.1

Most people talk on here like cwm is like the black plague or something.

Upvote 0
Let me make sure I understand this... If I am using Unrevoked Forever, it will install the latest CWM. Anything after 2.6.0.1 CWM will back up the necessary Wimax keys?

I'm going to flash a 2.1/3.0 sense ROM and/or CM7. I will probably go back and forth until I settle on one for a while.

IF I'm using latest CWM to Nand backup and I copy the backup to my PC as a safeguard, I should have no concerns, correct?

Upvote 0
Let me make sure I understand this... If I am using Unrevoked Forever, it will install the latest CWM. Anything after 2.6.0.1 CWM will back up the necessary Wimax keys?

I'm going to flash a 2.1/3.0 sense ROM and/or CM7. I will probably go back and forth until I settle on one for a while.

IF I'm using latest CWM to Nand backup and I copy the backup to my PC as a safeguard, I should have no concerns, correct?

yep, that is what i do. i always have at least one of my nandroid backups that has wimax backed up on my computer. and you are correct in that cwm 2.6 and up will save your wimax keys automatically.

main thing with going back and forth with sense and asop is that you really need to wipe well. i always wipe system, dalvik cache and cache. then i use vr superwipe (found in the rom/kernel sticky) before i flash a rom. i have found that cwm does not wipe well. i use amon ra and it seems to me that it wipes much better then cwm. if you use cwm i would wipe at least 2-3 times then use vr superwipe then flash your rom.

Upvote 0
yep, that is what i do. i always have at least one of my nandroid backups that has wimax backed up on my computer. and you are correct in that cwm 2.6 and up will save your wimax keys automatically.

main thing with going back and forth with sense and asop is that you really need to wipe well. i always wipe system, dalvik cache and cache. then i use vr superwipe (found in the rom/kernel sticky) before i flash a rom. i have found that cwm does not wipe well. i use amon ra and it seems to me that it wipes much better then cwm. if you use cwm i would wipe at least 2-3 times then use vr superwipe then flash your rom.

Thanks for the superwipe information... I used to wipe Dalvik 3x, Caches 3x, the Data 3x just from hearing about issues with wipe. Doing that on my Dinc always gave me a very stable install... I'm wondering how many problems that I've read about that are/were "one-off" are from incomplete wipes...

Upvote 0
I cant access xda from work does anyone know the location in the nand back ups to try and find the wimax keys?

Thank you

Charles

Oh yeah if you could post the instructions from the OP in the xda how to recover wimax keys that would be great!

Again thanks way in advance!:eek:

ok so this is not from me but here you go:
"First, I apologize if I post this in the wrong forum. Mods please move it for me =D thank you.

Second, I just went through hell to have my RSA key restore and I thought I have to post this instruction right the way in hope of it will save the next person.

For some reason my RSA key were missing and I have no idea why or how. But I did backup my RSA key using RA_Recovery a while ago so this instruction is only good if you did so.

Requirements:
-Root explorer Pro (paid)
-Terminal Emulator (free)

Instructions:
1. Assume you backed up your RSA key and have wimax.img file somewhere
2. Use Root Explorer Pro to copy and paste it to your root SD folder "sdcard"
3. Download "flash_image.zip" file from here: Flash image - CyanogenMod Wiki
4. Use Root Explorer Pro to extract it to your root SD folder "sdcard"
5. Then copy flash_image file itself and paste to /system/bin (you change it from R/O (Read Only) to R/W (Read Write), paste the files, then change it back it R/O.
6. Open Terminal Emulator
7. Type su
8. type flash_image wimax /sdcard/wimax.img it will reflash the rsa image key to your phone
9. Download Wimax key check from Market to verify. It should now says your key is present!

Good luck!!!"

hope that helps. here is the link again:[HowTo] restore RSA key using Terminal Emulator - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Thanks OCNBRZ,

One more quick question. Do you know where the wimax keys file is located in the nandroid backup?

Thank you

Charles

using root explorer go to sdcard/ then nandroid(not sure for clockwork mod)/then select you nandroid that you have your wimax backed up. once select it will be called wimax.img

Reactions: ceabbott2
Upvote 0
using root explorer go to sdcard/ then nandroid(not sure for clockwork mod)/then select you nandroid that you have your wimax backed up. once select it will be called wimax.img

Thank you OCNBRZ

I found the file but the rsa key checker app says I don't have my keys or it couldn't find them. I use Amon Ra 2.3 and have always backed up my wimax....BUTTTT I wonder if when i flashed a radio combo back in Nov/Dec if i din't already lose them and now I'm basically backing up nothing. Could that be it?

Oh yeah i started using amon ra at version 1.8 i think prior to that it was CWM. I changed with the scripts stuff happened whenever that was.

Charles

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones