• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WARNING! - Do NOT *228

I was just speaking to Verizon Technical Support and "out of curiosity" I asked if *228 would work on the Bionic, should I be traveling and want to update cell towers.

She said *228 would FRY OUR SIM CARDS...Don't do it!

She said if we need to update, power off, do a battery pull & wait 30 seconds and that would do it.

Just passing it along :)

I was just speaking to Verizon Technical Support and "out of curiosity" I asked if *228 would work on the Bionic, should I be traveling and want to update cell towers.

She said *228 would FRY OUR SIM CARDS...Don't do it!

She said if we need to update, power off, do a battery pull & wait 30 seconds and that would do it.

Just passing it along :)

the phone is also aware of this and does not allow it to be done. The Bionic does rule all machines after all.

Upvote 0
phone is smarter then we are! Won't allow it.

It also closed out an app that was using too much memory. I downloaded an application and about 30 minutes later I get a notification saying "X app is using excessive memory, closing. Please email creator to see if there is a malfunction".

I was literally stunned...

Upvote 0
It also closed out an app that was using too much memory. I downloaded an application and about 30 minutes later I get a notification saying "X app is using excessive memory, closing. Please email creator to see if there is a malfunction".

Now if only it could iron my clothes for me...id be set...lol

Upvote 0

big-brother-is-watching-you4.jpg

(actually, this time it's probably a good thing)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
the phone is also aware of this and does not allow it to be done. The Bionic does rule all machines after all.

After reading this, I felt the sudden urge of trying it, but then after reading the OP, I said nahhhh.

I've been using that sound since I first got my OG. Love it. Let's everyone know who rules all machines. lol

I love it! DROOOOOOOOOID.

I was actually thinking of using the Nextel sound as a Notification Tone just to drive my wife crazy (she is on nextel all day at work), but she woulda kicked my !@#$

Upvote 0
Where does it say in the users manual not to use *228?

Not seeing how it would fry a sim card. Seems erroneous info from CS.

Actually, it is true. A Verizon 4G phone has to be fully activated in the system before we can add the SIM card otherwise that card is no longer usable. I *think* what happens is if you activate the phone, and put the SIM card in before it's in the system that it registers it, but then when it's activated in the system it deactivates that card.

I assume that doing *228 would do something similar. I'm sure this is due to the fact that this is new tech for Big Red. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but I'll look into it to see if I can get a straight answer. There's only 4 of us at our kiosk and none of us actually work for Verizon, so we don't always have ready access to all information. We just know what we can or cannot do. lol

Upvote 0
Actually, it is true. A Verizon 4G phone has to be fully activated in the system before we can add the SIM card otherwise that card is no longer usable. I *think* what happens is if you activate the phone, and put the SIM card in before it's in the system that it registers it, but then when it's activated in the system it deactivates that card.

I assume that doing *228 would do something similar. I'm sure this is due to the fact that this is new tech for Big Red. I'm not exactly sure why this is, but I'll look into it to see if I can get a straight answer. There's only 4 of us at our kiosk and none of us actually work for Verizon, so we don't always have ready access to all information. We just know what we can or cannot do. lol

This would then seem silly to have the sim card in the device by default. It should be packed seperate and have a warning on the sim package, since people by habit use the *228.

Seems you can not win, since activating the sim card and using is VERY expensive and the cheaper option of using a SIM card from the country you are in usually takes a few days and is problematic when it is active.

I miss the innocent days of Tmo and my N-Gage and Dash. Never had any issue using them in England and would simply turn the phone back on once landed at Gatwick or Heathrow. Never had a call, data or text issue- ever.

Only in England two weeks a year, so no point in keeping Tmo for two weeks. Using Android also is a $big$ issue too, when not in the US.

Upvote 0
This would then seem silly to have the sim card in the device by default. It should be packed seperate and have a warning on the sim package, since people by habit use the *228.

Seems you can not win, since activating the sim card and using is VERY expensive and the cheaper option of using a SIM card from the country you are in usually takes a few days and is problematic when it is active.

I miss the innocent days of Tmo and my N-Gage and Dash. Never had any issue using them in England and would simply turn the phone back on once landed at Gatwick or Heathrow. Never had a call, data or text issue- ever.

Only in England two weeks a year, so no point in keeping Tmo for two weeks. Using Android also is a $big$ issue too, when not in the US.

I'm not sure how they're packaged from the corporate store, but they do not come with the SIM cards at Costco. We have a small storage of SIM cards that are separate from the phones that we activate for the customer to avoid this dilemma. Though I imagine if you ordered one online, it would have to come with a SIM card.

Now, AT&T and T-Mobile phones come with SIM cards in the box. Thing is, 7 times out of 10 you don't even use them because the customer is going to use their previous one. They also don't have the same issue that LTE has, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones