• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WARNING! Do NOT reapply the update after updating!

While the vast majority of consumers successfully downloaded and installed the most recent HTC EVO 4G software update, we have received a handful of reports from customers having some issues with the update. In light of this, HTC and Sprint have decided to temporarily halt distribution of this software release until we can investigate further. We expect to be able to resume software updates shortly.

Upvote 0
your on your 3rd Evo and I cant even find my first one.

Sucks to hear, but I am a PITA with them and plus ive been there customer for 12 years going now from there Nextel days, not that it matters. I have one coming UPS right now but that ones goes right back as the one the Sprint store gave me kicks ass!!!

Yep...I suspect they enabled the the 'N' switch. The chip was always capable of wireless N, they just had it disabled for some reason. It was trivial to do it...a dev over at XDA figured it out.

But, I will say, my wifi reception seems stronger now too. It was always pretty good for me, but never the full bars. Now the reception is maxed all the time and I'm getting my full wired broadband speeds over my wireless router.

Good stuff man.

I see they pulled the update because most people are trying to update twice and bricking there Evos. Once is a charm people.

One UTAH get me ONE!!!!! :D

Upvote 0
Why the heck would anyone try to update thier phone after just applying an OTA update LOL Obviously you don't need to update twice but I guess common sense does not prevail amongst EVO owners :(

I have read a few posts from owners of bricked Evos that explain what happened. Most have common sense reason for updating again. For instance, one person said that when she lost the widgets, she thought that the update didn't take properly, so she updated again. Another said that the Evo came up with a box after the successful update and asked again, so he thought that it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

I am sure these people feel bad enough without suggesting they lacked common sense. After all, the blame here lies with HTC for allowing an update that bricks a phone when applied twice. The lack of common sense lies with HTC.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
I have read a few posts from owners of bricked Evos that explain what happened. Most have common sense reason for updating again. For instance, one person said that when she lost the widgets, she thought that the update didn't take properly, so she updated again. Another said that the Evo came up with a box after the successful update and asked again, so he thought that it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

I am sure these people feel bad enough without suggesting they lacked common sense. After all, the blame here lies with HTC for allowing an update that bricks a phone when applied twice. The lack of common sense lies with HTC.

Common sense hell half the world has none. All you need to do is drive 5 minutes and see how bad it is. :D

Upvote 0
So I read all of the posts warning about not installing the update twice, and I got home, plugged my EVO in, downloaded and installed the update once... and it bricked anyway.

I've still got the receipt and everything from Best Buy, now I just need to decide if I should try to exchange it for another one or just have them reactivate my old flip phone. I love Android and the EVO, but man, it hasn't even been a month. I don't want to put up with stuff like this on a regular basis.

Upvote 0
Why the heck would anyone try to update thier phone after just applying an OTA update LOL Obviously you don't need to update twice but I guess common sense does not prevail amongst EVO owners :(

You have no idea what you are talking about, and clearly have not read the posts from those of us who have had this misfortune.
Congratulations;
You have just shown your colossal a$$ to the whole evo forum, and you are not alone.

Upvote 0
So I read all of the posts warning about not installing the update twice, and I got home, plugged my EVO in, downloaded and installed the update once... and it bricked anyway.

I've still got the receipt and everything from Best Buy, now I just need to decide if I should try to exchange it for another one or just have them reactivate my old flip phone. I love Android and the EVO, but man, it hasn't even been a month. I don't want to put up with stuff like this on a regular basis.

That sucks man sorry to hear, I updated mine this am and went great the first time, booted up worked etc. Went to the update screen and it asked to do it again and it bricked.

The new one I have now went great, updated it once and its been good ever since.

Upvote 0

I am sorry to hear that, and I also am starting to wonder about htc/evo/sprint.:(

Upvote 0

Didn't do the update today, but I don't get your common sense comment here. Let me give an example. I run ubuntu. Linux, if you are unfamiliar. If I'm running Ubuntu 8, I can't upgrade right to 10 through the interface. I am, however, allowed to download, install, restart, and continue through the distros until I up to the newest. Some people, myself included, dont pay attention to the exact update version. So, what I'm saying, is if I did an OTA update, rebooted my phone, and received a pop up after boot saying OTA available, I would ASSUME that it followed the previous one. I don't think thats an issue with common sense.. I would even go as far to say as common sense would tell you that it was in fact a second update which required you to update to the previous one first. Makes sense..

Least more sense then people assuming ::wow this is the same update and my phone is offering to update again, if I do it I will brick my phone::

A little easier to judge after the fact is all im saying.

Upvote 0
There are far too many instances of people bricking phones on the second update for anyone to even suggest, as you do, that it is fine to update their Evo a second time.

The FACT is that there are at least ten of our members who have BRICKED their Evo on the second update. DO NOT DO A SECOND UPDATE!!!

There is NO firmware update. And if there was, it is NOT a software update.

Again: If you do a second update you will BRICK your phone.

thank you for that... i am getting so annoyed at the number of things people shoot off about.i'm starting to have trouble being diplomatic because i'm so angry right now. you removed the need for me to say anything, and therefore, any chance i'd say something i'd regret.
if you update 2 times it will brick your phone. i've been in touch with dozens of people overnight, it's a fact. i am seriously reconsidering my choice of phone and carrier right now though. really depends how todays exchange goes. if i have trouble getting them to come off a replacement due to availabillity and commision based greed...

Upvote 0
For the people worried about losing your contacts there is an easy fix.
Go to the People icon, press the menu key, choose Import/Export and select Export to SD card.
Easy enough I think.

do you know what "bricked" means? i use gmail, but anyone who didnt is literally holding a paperweight.... with a 2 year contract in most cases.

Upvote 0
You have no idea what you are talking about, and clearly have not read the posts from those of us who have had this misfortune.
Congratulations;
You have just shown your colossal a$$ to the whole evo forum, and you are not alone.

he thinks he is smart just for knowing what 'OTA' stands for. anyone savvy knows updates occur in layers, and that MOST systems would protect you from fatal errors of this magnitude.

Upvote 0
For the people worried about losing your contacts there is an easy fix.
Go to the People icon, press the menu key, choose Import/Export and select Ex

do you know what "bricked" means? i use gmail, but anyone who didnt is literally holding a paperweight.... with a 2 year contract in most cases.

Exporting exports to SD. Don't think bricking your phone corrupts that too, but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones