• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning for people using Flash for 2.1 before getting the 2.2 update

IXIShogunR1

May 28, 2010
i thought i would just put this out there since it hasn't really been talked about much and the new update is suppose to hit tomorrow.... i know it buried in a couple threads

but if you were using the Flash for 2.1 uninstall it before doing the update tomorrow

i had it on my phone and didn't uninstall it like i planed to and my browser would crash on any flash, i fixed it with the new 2.2 flash from xda

but yeah once again just a heads up for people that didn't know

Edit to add:
here is the link for the 2.2 flash that fixed my problem for anyone that is having the issue or might have the issue

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6565807&postcount=12

installing this on my phone fixed the problem and i didn't have to do a hard reset like some have had to do

Reactions: EarlyMon
i thought i would just put this out there since it hasn't really been talked about much and the new update is suppose to hit tomorrow.... i know it buried in a couple threads

but if you were using the Flash for 2.1 uninstall it before doing the update tomorrow

i had it on my phone and didn't uninstall it like i planed to and my browser would crash on any flash, i fixed it with the new 2.2 flash from xda

I actually uninstalled it because it didn't work very well. Most sites still did not work with flash. Your experience? Hopefully the official release will work.

Upvote 0
I updated to Froyo on the 30th and didn't uninstall my flash player. Seeing your post I decided to test it out. So, I went to the adobe flash site, and it successfully booted up the flash that sates "successfully installed" and spins the flash "F". So, I don't know what problem your phone is having, but it has nothing to do with uninstalling it...at least from what I can tell. Can you provide me a sample website I can try out to test these crash issues?

Upvote 0
I updated to Froyo on the 30th and didn't uninstall my flash player. Seeing your post I decided to test it out. So, I went to the adobe flash site, and it successfully booted up the flash that sates "successfully installed" and spins the flash "F". So, I don't know what problem your phone is having, but it has nothing to do with uninstalling it...at least from what I can tell. Can you provide me a sample website I can try out to test these crash issues?

my problem is fixed now, and i'm not saying every phone will have the issue if they have the flash for 2.1 i'm just giving a warning so people know that it can happen

i just went to a buch of diffrent webpages that have flash adds and stuff and when it loaded the flash it would crash the browser

mostly forums with heavy flash, i gave up after that

Upvote 0

Edit to add:
here is the link for the 2.2 flash that fixed my problem for anyone that is having the issue or might have the issue

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] FroYo Users: Flash Download!

installing this on my phone fixed the problem and i didn't have to do a hard reset like some have had to do

The best part is when you soft reset your device, THE PROBLEM COME BACK. Enjoy! The only fix is to hard reset your device.

Upvote 0
I noticed flash crashing Dolphin today then saw this thread. I went into the app manager to uninstall Flash and noticed it wasn't there. I did have it before but somewhere along the way of flashing Fresh3.0beta3 somehow I lost. Went into Settings->Applications and not there either.

So I downloaded the apk from the xda link posted above, transferred over and attempted an install...said install failed. Im befuddled. I'll try routine things like rebooting etc to see if that works.

Upvote 0
well..... 3 hours later..... i've done everything i could look up and find..... but no matter what it would always break again after a power down......
full factory reset and i seem to be ok... i'm about to check again as i type this.....

add........... so far so good

now a fix for people that don't want to restart and wait to see if there is a better option is you can just use a file manager and reload the flash .apk when you wanna use flash ..... or set flash to on demand so it won't crash your browser

this is really bad news.... i was trying to avoid the factory reset but its the only thing i could find to permently fix

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones