1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Warning...get watchdog now..don't get screwed.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Uzza, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Thassodar

Thassodar Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Texas
    My 3G Watchdog is spot-on, I just checked. AT&T says 185MB used, Watchdog says 191.2 (because I accidentally set the bill cycle a day early).

Advertisement

2. fireonhigh

fireonhigh Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    hell yes att and all the rest suck cash,i see the day when they will die:D

3. ulbonado

ulbonado Member
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    See my post above. I don't know that AT&T is right, but I do know 3G watchdog is wrong. I caught it red-handed reporting 0 for the day, on a day when I know I used a noticeable amount of 3G.

4. wdsport

wdsport Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Is there a way (via Watchdog or other) to see what progams are downloading? On 9/16, I suddenly went from averaging 20mb a day to 200mb a day. I've installed Watchdog 3D and when I'm on Wifi (at home, overnight), zero traffic on 3G. When I'm away from Wifi, I can go for an hour with the phone just sitting there doing nothing, (a couple of emails come through), and Watchdog shows like 18mb of data recieved. How can I know what that data is?

5. armeck

armeck Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    Ditto!

Holy crap, me too. Same date! I got a text saying I had exceeded my usage, ok fair enough since new phone new features I have been playing with it a lot. However 1.5 days later I get another text saying my second 200MB was already 75% gone (9/16-9/18). A look at my bill shows a ton of data during the night like 16MB at 2am, etc. Thing is, I have wifi at work and home so 90% of my day I am covered by wifi.

I am calling ATT during my lunch hour to get some explanation on this. In the meantime I switched the never sleep option on my wifi to avoid going 3g when the screen blanks out.

6. wdsport

wdsport Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I got those text messages too, which alerted me to the problem.

I've been on AT&T chat this morning and they're no help. I'm not near wifi this morning, the phone is just sitting here (have gotten 2 emails) and I can see Watchdog 3D go up almost 4mb every hour.

AT&T just tells me my data increased 9/16, so I must be sending picture messages or streaming video (not doing either).

7. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    How do you set your billing date in 3G Watchdog? I've tried to find it but can't, my bill date is the 18th and I'd like to get this set properly. I got 3D Watchdog late on the 19th, so it's going to be off a bit for a month, maybe.....:)

8. PGP_Protector

PGP_Protector Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Check your settings, when the phone is "off" / "Asleep" and does it nightly updates / checks / ect, unless you've got WiFi set to never sleep, it will use the 3G.

My phone has that set, and the wifes didn't and I was seeing the 16-20M hit on her phone each day, changed her settings (non rooted) and it dropped overnight.

Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Wi-Fi Settings -> (Menu Button -> Advanced) -> Wi-Fi Sleep Policy -> Change to Never.

GodFlow and armeck like this.
  9. wdsport

wdsport Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    My wifi is set to Never sleep. I was on wifi all last night, got emails, and this morning, no 3G data had been passed (according to Watchdog 3D). Right now, at the office, I don't have wifi available, and my phone is eating about 4mb per hour of 3G data (doing nothing, literally, getting 2 or 3 emails). I've got it in airplane mode at the moment, to save on 3G data. If I turn airplane mode off, I can watch my WD3D start increasing. Something wacky's going on (and it clearly started around 9/16).

AT&T's chat response is <<our system records the amount and date of the usages. It doesn't show why your usages jumped>> and <<The system records the data directly from your device, whether it is accidental or on purpose. If it is a problem with your device, than you can contact the warranty department to have it exchanged.>>

10. armeck

armeck Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    I now have that set (as of this morning). But what a shitty shitty shitty default setting. FYI, almost my entire mass data charges are to wap.cingular. Here's a sample of the charges and times:

img.ly photo sharing service for twitter

11. armeck

armeck Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    Just got done talking to lady who said it *must* be spyware and I need to factory reset... thoughts on that?

EDIT: For what it's worth I just ran Lookout and the anti-virus found nothing wrong.

12. Thassodar

Thassodar Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Texas
    Settings, should bring up:

Your Settings

Quota [ ] GB[dropdown arrow]
    per [ ] Month(s)[dropdown arrow]

Last started on Sept 2, 2010

Just to be clear mine is the one by Richard Gruet (you can check in the options).

13. Uzza

Uzza Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    trying to work it out with attempts customer service..so far an awful experience..two transfers of one gig each..and they keep asking me if used YouTube ect. I keep telling them there's no way...got the run around..having a manager call me tommorow afternoon.

not rooted...and didn't download anything...no clue why this happened and afraid it will happen again..not to mention that my account is tied to work and now it makes me look like a data hog.

When I first got my G1 I talked and tested over my limit in the tunease of 500 bucks called and talked to tmobile and they just erased that those overages. .I didn't even ask them too...att sucks so far with there custermor care.

14. sully5059

sully5059 Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    A new billing period started for me a few days ago and when I checked yesterday I was surprised to see that 3G Watchdog reported less than 1 MB and AT&T was 7.6 MB. This was because I'd used 3G data on the 17th which was what I thought was the last day of last period (the site says the new period starts on the 18th) but it's on this month's usage so there's a 1 day offset. I should have told 3G Watchdog to start on the 17th rather than the 18th.

When making that change I reset all the counters. I think my usage according to the new AT&T bill was higher than the usage logged by 3G Watchdog but I can't check it now. I'm going to use the advice I've seen on here - use 3G Watchdog as a guideline and occasionally compare it with AT&T and make adjustments if necessary.

I'm only on the 200 MB plan because I'm usually by Wi-Fi, but to make sure I don't get any surprises I switch data off unless I need it. I tried with APNDroid at first, but sometimes had trouble switching it on and off. Then I tried Quick Settings which has two methods of switching data off. One of them is renaming the APN like APNDroid does, and I'm not sure what the other one does but it seems to work well.

15. wdsport

wdsport Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I think I found my culprit - K9 email. I started using it about a month ago. I had it set to check email every 15 minutes, and from what I can tell, everytime it checked email, it downloaded about 5mb of data (even if no emails were found). If I was on Wifi, it used wifi, so it wasn't obvious to me what was happening. I'm on wifi at home/overnight, but not at work. I saw my 3G data go up over the month I used K9, but I figured the phone was new, using it more, etc., plus I was still way under my 2gb limit. But on 9/11, my home internet went out and was down for 4 days (had to replace dsl modem). So that whole time, 24 hours a day, my phone was downloading 5-ish mb of data every 15 minutes. That adds up.

I have no idea why K9 did this. Checked my settings, didn't see anything obvious. Anyone else encountered this? I liked K9 and prefer it, but have now gone back to the stock email. I'll continue to watch, but already, WD3D shows my use waaaaay down.

I figured this out by installing a firewall app (droidwall), stopping all traffic, then enabling things one at a time. K9 seems to have been my bad guy, but I'm keeping a watch on other things too.