• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning to Best Buy buyers

Picked up my Captivate from Best Buy today, but boy what an ordeal it was. Long story short, they have the price jacked up (both contract price and non-contract price). You can pick one up in an AT&T store for $199.99 with a 2 year contract or $499.00 with no contract. Best Buy has them listed as $229.99 contract, $549.99 no contract. I had them refund me the 30 bucks by bringing in my friends receipt who picked one up at AT&T.

I'm thinking about buying from bestbuy. Will they price match AT&T $499?

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about buying from bestbuy. Will they price match AT&T $499?

They will typically price-match any brick & mortar retail store. AT&T stores are included in this. Whether or not they will price-match online prices is hit or miss, though. They technically aren't suppose to price-match online sources, but some have been able to get away with it.

Reactions: samven582
Upvote 0
Wow, some crazy stories here. Well, I would liked to have had a choice but I wasn't even really eligible until November. I called AT&T CS twice before I was able to convince them to give me an early upgrade. I am happy enough that I did get the phone for the $199 upgrade price.

I should note that I have 4 lines and that two of them have (1 left now) upgrade eligibility this year. Also, it took a lot of persistence on my part before they relented and gave me an upgrade. They also couldn't order the phone in their system yet (Sunday morning) so I was even able to go directly to a corp store and picked up my phone at 11:15 am on Sunday. :)

Upvote 0
I brought a copy of the reciept that printed from my walmart.com order that Sunday. It probably too late too do it now.

Never hurts to try. I took a picture of my receipt too, so I should try to bring that in? And ask if they price match? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to sound confident when going in there, haha. My Best Buy is kind of small, so may still let me get it for that price if I can get my money back by tomorrow at the latest....still waiting on LetsTalk to release that money back.

Upvote 0
I bought mine sunday morning at best buy for $199. Stopped in this morning showed them the walmart website and they refunded me $100 no questions asked...

I am taking my receipt tonight and getting my wife a phone. she likes the aria for its size but loves how the captivate "handles" Plus it will be thirty dollars cheaper when I get another one for $99.

Anyone wanna buy 2 iphone 3gs? Just kidding!

Upvote 0
I bought mine sunday morning at best buy for $199. Stopped in this morning showed them the walmart website and they refunded me $100 no questions asked...

I am taking my receipt tonight and getting my wife a phone. she likes the aria for its size but loves how the captivate "handles" Plus it will be thirty dollars cheaper when I get another one for $99.

So do you and your wife have upgrades available this year? Or are you new subscibers?

Upvote 0
So do you and your wife have upgrades available this year? Or are you new subscibers?

We both were eligible for upgrades. She was testing the waters before she chose a phone. She is also coming from a 3g and never really took a liking to it. She heard the music from super mario bros as I was playing it on nesiod and thats when she decided.

Upvote 0

Link to the page on the Walmart website? When I got to Walmart.com and search for Samsung Captivate I get a listing for every other Samsung phone in creation besides the Captivate...

Upvote 0
Link to the page on the Walmart website? When I got to Walmart.com and search for Samsung Captivate I get a listing for every other Samsung phone in creation besides the Captivate...

Yes, you have to go to walmart.com
Click on electronics bring up menu:
click on cell phones
click on cell phones and service
click on ATT

Its the first one at the top of the page.

I actually had to go behind the desk to show the girl at customer service.

Upvote 0
Yes, you have to go to walmart.com
Click on electronics bring up menu:
click on cell phones
click on cell phones and service
click on ATT

Its the first one at the top of the page.

I actually had to go behind the desk to show the girl at customer service.

Son of a... You're right.
AT&T Cell Phones

You'd think a search in their search box specifically for "Samsung Captivate" would at least bring it up... at all. I went through two pages and it wasn't anywhere in the list of things brought up by the search lol.

Upvote 0
from my post earlier http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/125756-captivate-free-walmart-5.html

icon7.gif
got it from ATT for $99 because of this thread
i am so happy i had to register and tell about calling ATT and since i was a long time customer of theirs and that i want the captivate but didn t want to pay $199 since walmart was offering it for $99, after about 10 mins of hold time they price matched walmart and i should have the phone in 3-5 days( could not gripe about no priority shipping at that price).

:D:)

Upvote 0
I just emailed bbmobile@bestbuy.com and told them how I am a loyal and happy Best Buy customer normally, and how nice and helpful everyone at Best Buy Mobile has been... but charging $130 more than Walmart is a little ridiculous. I'm being optimistic that not sounding like some rude douchebag that just wants a fair price might make them not notice its an online only offer from Walmart. They typically only price-match brick&mortar stores, in my experience... but c'mon... it's freakin' Walmart.

Upvote 0
I just emailed bbmobile@bestbuy.com and told them how I am a loyal and happy Best Buy customer normally, and how nice and helpful everyone at Best Buy Mobile has been... but charging $130 more than Walmart is a little ridiculous. I'm being optimistic that not sounding like some rude douchebag that just wants a fair price might make them not notice its an online only offer from Walmart. They typically only price-match brick&mortar stores, in my experience... but c'mon... it's freakin' Walmart.

I just stopped by my local Best Buy about an hour ago to check if they would price match Walmart.Com. The girl went to her PC logged on and checked the price and said no problem. I have to wait until September 2nd for my upgrade, but she said that is the policy.

Upvote 0
has anyone confirmed that the actual store, brick and mortar Walmart, is selling this phone for that price? The Best Buy I went to has that stipulation. I'm pretty sure they'd do something for me if that's the case, even though I already bought the phone, because if they wont, then I can just return the phone for the restock fee (or bitch about it because of the reception issue and probably get it returned for free) and go to Walmart and bank 70-100 bucks.

Upvote 0
I brought a copy of the reciept that printed from my walmart.com order that Sunday. It probably too late too do it now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You blocked the trans ID info, but left the barcode containing the same information.

Using Barcode scanner on my phone I can tell what store & register it was purchased and the transaction number. Everything I need to look it up. Just thought I would point that out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones