• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning! Voicemail doom!

icon1.gif

When I go to my voice mail I get a recording saying to dial an area code and try your call again then it says message 8 switch 381. I've called customer service but after an hour or so of resetting things they still couldn't figure out whats wrong. I'm pretty frustrated. I can make calls, text, and do everything else but access my voicemail. I have searched forums but can't find anyone who has the same problem as me.

Upvote 0
icon1.gif

When I go to my voice mail I get a recording saying to dial an area code and try your call again then it says message 8 switch 381. I've called customer service but after an hour or so of resetting things they still couldn't figure out whats wrong. I'm pretty frustrated. I can make calls, text, and do everything else but access my voicemail. I have searched forums but can't find anyone who has the same problem as me.

I had the same problem as you. It could have been due to having Google voice installed or still having an unread voice mail message left on my old triumph. But I emailed the people at saveme@thevirginangels.com which someone posted in a different thread. (thanks whoever that was.)

After about 5 emails and having their "Network Engineers" look into the problem, they were able to reset my voicemail services. I had to then turn off my phone for 10 minutes, with the battery out. I was then able to access and set up my voicemail. This was all on Harmonia 3.0.7 so you do not have to flash back to stock to get it to work. It's all server side anyway. Hope this helped.

Reactions: redpipe
Upvote 0
i have had no problems with mine i did a number port from metro and i i have the voice mail app icon on the home screen working great..will this afect me there is a check for updates in the app settings for it as well as version on the phone? Visual Voice mail

This problem isn't part of the visual voicemail. It is from having voicemail from the previous voicemail system that gets stuck when you update to the visual voicemail system. If you are new to VM then you will not have this problem.

Reactions: jr2673
Upvote 0
After a few back and forth emails with saveme@thevirginangels.com and some troubleshooting on their end my voicemail is up and running. They were much more helpful than when I called customer service and talked to a number of tech people I couldn't understand and waited over an hour.

although my voicemail works I was having the issue with the notification that wouldn't go away. The easy fix is to turn Fast Boot off by going to Settings - Power then rebooting.

Upvote 0
My solution is to just go Settings>Call>Clear voicemail.

They stay gone so long as I don't reset my phone.

Good to know that calling them will resolve the issue permanently. To be honest though, I'm hesitant to do it because:

DUN DUN DUN

Google Voice is now working as my voicemail provider. Full functionality.

I'm not sure how, I don't know if it's a glitch or what. But for the convenience this affords me, I'm perfectly willing to clear the voicemail counter when I start up my phone.

Also: I'm glad I made the move from the Triumph.

Reactions: repdetect
Upvote 0
So long story short, delete all your voicemails before you switch phones, eh?

Does "deleting" just consist of calling your voicemail and repeatedly pressing 7 until it says there aren't any more messages? Or is it more complicated than that?

yah thats all. you just need to make sure it says no new voicemails by the time you switch phones. when you switch, any new voicemails will be routed to the new sprint voicemail.

Upvote 0
So just an update to my 'voicemail doom' story...

I've gone back and forth with Virgin Mobile about this phantom voicemail issue for over a month. Every time I contact Virgin Mobile, they have to enter a text chat room with Sprint technical support because Virgin Mobile can't access much information...so basically Virgin Mobile tech support is the relaying information back and forth between Sprint support and myself. That always led to waiting 72 hours for a network engineer to call me to fix the issue. I've called over 10 times, and nobody ever called me back.

So I finally get a phone replacement today to see if that's the problem....nope, I still have the voicemail notification. I call tier 3 technical support, and the guy literally said there's nothing they can do to fix the issue. He said he's had other people with the same problem, but they cannot fix it no matter what they do.

He did say there was an update coming out 'hopefully within the month' that 'may fix the issue, but no promises.'

Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this stupid voice mail notification?

Upvote 0
So just an update to my 'voicemail doom' story...

I've gone back and forth with Virgin Mobile about this phantom voicemail issue for over a month. Every time I contact Virgin Mobile, they have to enter a text chat room with Sprint technical support because Virgin Mobile can't access much information...so basically Virgin Mobile tech support is the relaying information back and forth between Sprint support and myself. That always led to waiting 72 hours for a network engineer to call me to fix the issue. I've called over 10 times, and nobody ever called me back.

So I finally get a phone replacement today to see if that's the problem....nope, I still have the voicemail notification. I call tier 3 technical support, and the guy literally said there's nothing they can do to fix the issue. He said he's had other people with the same problem, but they cannot fix it no matter what they do.

He did say there was an update coming out 'hopefully within the month' that 'may fix the issue, but no promises.'

Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this stupid voice mail notification?

Mine still isn't fixed. One way I *fixed* it though was by using Meanrom or zredx rom. Using both of those Roms I dont receive the annoying notification.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did anyone find a solution to this? I'm in the same notification-forever boat and tech support is insisting on the master reset, etc. crap that doesn't work. I provided the ticket # above but am told there is no resolution on it. I asked for my old voicemail to be reset, they had no idea what I was talking about.

No. I did get a call from executive customer support out of the blue a few days ago asking me to update my profile (yet again) - supposedly they did something in my account to try to fix the problem, but it didn't do anything. I was told the ticket would be left open and that they'd keep trying to figure out the problem.

Upvote 0
Ok so I went through this same phantom voicemail issue after switching from an old phone to the HTC Evo V 4g, and finally got it resolved, we are not supposed to be on Sprint voicemail, this just happens because of the phone being originally a Sprint phone, you need to find someone who will tie your phone back to your Virgin Mobile voicemail, you will still keep the visual voicemail feature. Then if you haven't yet, for god's sake use the voicemail app icon so you can see and delete your welcome voicemail, which does not appear anywhere but there. I had one voicemail that I couldn't get rid of which was coincidentally the number I had before switching plans. This voicemail is not accessible if you call your voicemail or if you go through notifications to get to it, it simply does not exist except through that app. I am posting this in hopes that it helps users here and people googling this problem, get rid of the voicemail that will not go away. Hope this helps.

Reactions: desertsky
Upvote 0
How did you get it resolved? My phone is saying Sprint and I'm a boost mobile customer. I just assumed it was saying Sprint because of the Visual VM feature on the HTC. I've been getting all my new VM through the new Visual VM since I got rid of the Phantom VM I had. Most of the customer support people don't even know how to handle the Visual VM issues.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! I just joined the forum specifically to share my experience solving this problem and thank people on this thread, without whom my problem wouldn't have been fixed. So THANK YOU EVERYONE! Here goes:

The Short Version
traciefly is a lifesaver and her(?) solution worked like a charm. If you're experiencing this annoying problem, just like I did since getting my new Evo Design on Boost and until last night - do exactly as that post says (or keep reading).

The (Slightly) Long, Detailed Version

I'm a Boost Mobile customer (was on Sprint until about half a year ago). Last week I made the upgrade from the Juno (don't ask, I'm not proud of it) to the Evo Design. Everything was marvelous except - well, you know what. VM Icon would NOT go away. Incidentally, it reported TWO new messages.

A list of things that didn't work:

-Resetting the phone
-Resetting the VM message counter (under "Settings"/"Call")
-factory-resetting the phone (twice, thank you very much. Deleted everything. Utterly useless.)
-4 hours on the phone with Boost Mobile customer service, who tried their best, but couldn't come up with anything other than resetting my voicemail from their side - which didn't work either (obviously, in hindsight).
-Swapping ESNs at my nearest Best Buy to a brand new Evo Design. Phantom Messages came back as soon as the phone was activated - actually before the PRL activation was complete.

The one solution that worked:

1. Going to a Boost Mobile store, getting a basic phone (their dumbest one, cost $40 I think - which I can now get a rebate for after returning the phone)
2. Having them activate it in-store (not that it matters, but saves time).
3. Setting up voice mail (not necessarily important, but maybe inevitable)
4. Calling my own number from a different phone and leaving a message
5. Calling VM from my phone and deleting that message (FWIW, that was the only message that showed up)
6. Calling boost mobile from a different phone and asking them to re-activate the previous phone (the Evo Design). They were very cool about that.

As soon as the phone came back to life it showed two voicemails, and instantaneously they disappeared. It's been almost 12 hours, they haven't been back since (despite multiple resets, tests, in-and-out-of-airplane mode which triggered that before, etc.). In short, Hasta la Vista, annoying phantom voicemail.

Sorry if this was overly long - I'm not a pro myself and thought some other frustrated person might find a detailed step-by-step description useful. Ironically, the salesperson at boost mobile has the same problem and doesn't know how to deal with it except hoping that "BM will patch it soon" - that's the level of incompetence we're talking about here. So I wanted to chime in to show my gratitude and support, and in hope that this solution solves it once and for all. Here's hoping Boost Mobile (and the rest of them) stumble upon this thread.

Best from phantom-free-land,

Desertsky

PS - feel free to pm me or ask anything on this thread. I'm feeling immensely grateful - as I said, wouldn't have solved it without you guys! Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones