1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Warranty not being granted, please help!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by UnsavvyUser, Jan 5, 2012.

1. UnsavvyUser

UnsavvyUser Newbie
    None

Dec 24, 2011
    USA
    I bought a phone on e-bay, it's a newer phone that came out a couple months ago. The seller told me that the phone has a warranty. So I call the company to verify this, they ask me where I purchased the phone, I respond "ebay" and they tell me right off the bat, "no warranty on products purchased on ebay, the warranty is for the original owner only. Yet I have heard many times people getting their phones fixed who were not the original owners, including someone here who said you don't have to be the original owner, but how do they do it then? If I were to make the call again, what do I say this time around? I bought it at a store? Do I have to prove this? Seller did not have a receipt nor original box with upc codes and stuff. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    We don't condone insurance or warranty fraud discussions and I am not judging - just letting you know where you are heading with that.

Common sense, if you didn't get something in a sealed factory box, it wasn't new no matter what you were told.

And any product not bought from a factory authorized reseller has no warranty. Refrigerator, clock, phone, doesn't matter.

Sorry for your trouble, but you got screwed - I don't know how else to say it.

Andima likes this.
  3. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    what phone??? what carrier??

i am of a different opinion on this... if a product that was "purchased legally and brand new in a box" that had a warranty. I think the warranty should survive with the new owner. As long as the are no funny stuff.

why would it matter, if I sold my 3 month old EVO (which came with 1 yr warranty) to my friend.. and they needed to use the warranty with the manufacture?

hopefully it does have warranty on it..

4. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    The best people to ring for advice on your consumer rights regarding warranty is your national consumer rights association. Not sure what part of the world you are based in but a quick Google should track the relevant details for you.

If you are in UK this could be of help m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationController?action=view&param=DG_195361&utn=c7d61cf6d8ad43569105201201052256

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    It didn't come in a box.

The seller had no box and no receipt.

And warranties are rarely transferable.

And the maker made it clear already - no warranties on ebay purchases.

Removed your comment encouraging bold faced lying.