1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nukchebi0, Jan 23, 2014.

1. nukchebi0

nukchebi0 Newbie
    None

Dec 1, 2013
    My Nexus 5 arrived and while its a great phone for the price tag, I received a defective model with an extremely loose power button (my friend's barely makes noise, mine makes a lot of noise with a minor tap). While the phone still works technically, it's extremely irritating to hear the rattling when I type and make calls. I first noticed it a mere two days after getting the phone, and it's gotten increasingly loose over the past four weeks, so I finally decided to contact Google to get it replaced. However, when I talked with Google support on the phone today, the representative insisted that it was not a replaceable issue because it doesn't render the device inoperable (he did not accept the reasoning that the rattling impedes usage of the phone as, well, a phone) and because it stems from "slight variations in design and manufacturing". Is this the case or does the warranty cover obvious manufacturing defects like a loose power button? My cursory reading suggested it did, but I would like to make sure before I email Google.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If the button is loose enough that it makes the power switch open or close without your pressing it it's a defect. If it's loose enough that it falls out it it's a defect. If it just makes noise it's not a defect. (There's no spec for how loud it can be.) Don't you just love it when the lawyers get involved?

nukchebi0 likes this.
  3. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    @op - you do have the option of returning it (within the first 14 days) and buying another one (hope that the new one doesn't have the same issue)

I'm not sure I'd agree with the "doesn't make device inoperable". What if there were scratches on the screen? Or if there were larger than usual gaps around the screen?

I got the Nexus 5 with the rattling power button (I ordered it the day it became available) - and it doesn't bother me enough to return it. But it is an issue that some may not be willing to accept in a brand new device.

nukchebi0 likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    I'd just call again and try to get someone else.

Hook and nukchebi0 like this.
  5. ritchea

ritchea Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    south central Florida
    nukchebi0 and Rxpert83 like this.
  6. zipred

zipred Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2013
    California USA
    I strongly agree.

Due to my terrific ordering and customer service experience with Google, plus the excellent trouble free Nexus 5 I'm enjoying, I bought four additional phones for my family.

On the few occasions I've called Google they've been exceptionally friendly, professional and helpful.

One phone had a small cosmetic defect out of the box, the Google rep was eager to replace it. He even sent it immediately, asking me to use the defective phone until the replacement arrived, a very impressive courtesy.

Quite frankly, Google's made great strides in it's customer service and ordering experiences. I could not be happier.

nukchebi0 and Rxpert83 like this.
  7. nukchebi0

nukchebi0 Newbie
    None

Dec 1, 2013
    Thanks for the input; I thought the representative was being unreasonable, but I didn't want to assume I was right. I'll try again tomorrow and update appropriately.

Rxpert83 and Hook like this.
Tags: