• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warranty Replacement for Droid 1---What did they tell you and what did they send you.

This is getting ridiculous. I just got my 3rd refurb in less than a week. Each Droid 1 they are sending me is a POS, they keyboard is terrible and all the touch screens have been loose as if a screw is missing. I even spoke with a supervisor today and he said there is nothing they can do. So I said, you mean to tell me that if it takes 20-30 refurbs until I am satisfied you're okay with that and think thats good buisness? He said if we have to send you 50 we will.

What did you tell the CSR?

I told the CSR that I was going to cancel all 5 of my lines and that I was going to take my business to AT&T. I said I was going report them to the FCC and the Better Business Bureau. I thought that their customer service was down right awful. There is no reason one should have to go through refurb after refurb in order to get a working phone. I was paying for a service that I was not receiving (my audio didn't work). They changed their attitude real quick.

Upvote 0
I just got a replacement for my Droid-1 which has a bad 'a' key. The replacement is a 'like new refurbished' and has a flat keyboard. Mine has domed keys. Now I can see why there were so many complaints. I'm not sure I'll like the flat keys. Is there any chance I can get a new replacement w/ domed keys? Will I get used to the flat ones?

Upvote 0
When the phone is new or "certified" the keyboard is completely flat but with time they keys seem to raise a bit..there is probably a 1% chance of getting a refurbished droid with raised keys... on a second note..i have a replacement Droid or Droid 2 n the way i will come back to let you guys know

Upvote 0
I just got a replacement for my Droid-1 which has a bad 'a' key. The replacement is a 'like new refurbished' and has a flat keyboard. Mine has domed keys. Now I can see why there were so many complaints. I'm not sure I'll like the flat keys. Is there any chance I can get a new replacement w/ domed keys? Will I get used to the flat ones?

I've been going through this with them for a week now. The flat keyboard sucks bad and I didn't buy one until I knew I could get one with raised keys. They keep sending the flat ones. It's a hell of a fight but probably the best you can do is to get a Droid 2, because...well, first of all, as someone already said, all the refurbs seem to be flat. And since they flat and raised ones are technically the same model and all, they can't differentiate and send you one or the other at your request. I wasn't (and am not) happy with that so I've been trying to get them to make it right.

If it's worth the trouble to you and you really don't want to use the flat keyboard, stick with it and keep calling/e-mailing. I'm making progress but very slowly. And yes, the pace of the progress has increased exponentially since I said I was going to cancel my contract if I didn't get a phone of truly equal or better quality.

I really think its fair to get a phone back that absolutely matches yours, keyboard and all. I use my keyboard constantly, in fact its about 90% of what I use the phone for, so I expect a replacement to be identical to the one I had (before the device malfunctioned). If that can't be offered (and it can't, because they can't guarantee a raised keyboard on any refurb) then an upgrade to a model with that feature is in order. My opinion. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I received my warranty replacement for my Droid 1 yesterday. I was told I MIGHT receive a Droid 2, depending on what they had in stock for the Droid 1. I received a Droid 1 refurb. My old droid would automatically download any picture messages I received, now I have to tell it to download them, and half the time the download never finishes.

Upvote 0
I'm concerned about getting a phone other than a D1 because of all the accessories etc that I have for the D1 that could become useless with a different phone. I've got two of the cradle/stands (can't remember what they are called) that charges the battery and makes it look like a clock radio when the phone is in there. Anyone know of the D2 will work with these? How about batteries? I bought two spare batteries for the D1 that I think are the same ones the D2 uses.

Upvote 0
I'm concerned about getting a phone other than a D1 because of all the accessories etc that I have for the D1 that could become useless with a different phone. I've got two of the cradle/stands (can't remember what they are called) that charges the battery and makes it look like a clock radio when the phone is in there. Anyone know of the D2 will work with these? How about batteries? I bought two spare batteries for the D1 that I think are the same ones the D2 uses.

I know the batteries and chargers do work with the D2, not sure about the cradles.

Upvote 0
Boy this refurb merry go round is getting crowded. Got my first refurb yesterday and the screen was loose. I didn't even try to turn it on. Put it back inthe box and sent it back.

I did the same with a few of my refurbs. It gets ridiculous! When I finally gave up and decided to activate one it wouldn't boot up, just stayed on the red eye. After that they offered me a new D2.

Upvote 0
Just for fun, I decided to see if I could exchange and get a droid X, since they are considering this my upgrade. This is there response:

"Mr. Steiner, I can certainly understand your interest in regards to getting the phone of your choice. The reason that you are unable to receive the phone of your choice is because we made an exception to upgrade to a new phone that is similar to your existing device at no charge to you. Although your equipment upgrade date will be extended by 20 months your contract end date will not change.

If you wish to take advantage of the Droid X, you may return the Droid 2 and complete your Annual Equipment Upgrade which allows you to get a new phone of your choice at the two-year price. The following is important information regarding the Annual Upgrade Program: "

Should I push it? I think I might like the DX better but was never given the choice. I would think Verizon would care because they are the same price. It's not like I was trying to get them to upgrade me to a D2 from a RAZR (yeah I have one).

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Upvote 0
I received my 3rd replacement phone today. It appears to be a brand new D2. I say appears because it didn't come in the retail box, but it doesn't have the "Certified Like New" stickers all over it, there is no refurb date stamped in the back. It has all the original plastic on it, and the battery cover was in a separate sealed plastic bag. The phone is flawless. I am one happy camper right now!!!

This is exactly what happened to me...last Friday a new D2 chassis arrived in a standard sized refurb box/packaging, and I received the new battery and D2 battery door in a separate package on Monday.

I had gone through SIX D1 refurbs along the way until I got a D2.

The D1 refurbs have started to run together, but below is a list showing the issues w/the refurbs I received:

1. Locked up during use/screen would go dark
2. Would not charge ("?" on battery icon)
3. Can't remember...
4. Would not charge - would charge for a while but then quit
5. Scratch on top-front bezel, camera lens not fully seated, ding on camera lens, and something else functional I can't remember now
6. Locked up during activation/screen went dark, got through activation once and it locked up during use as well

Refurbs 5 and 6 arrived on the same day, which was a bit odd. I guess they were trying to improve their chances. ;)

After I determined that D1 refurb number 3 wasn't going to work, I called Verizon to tell them and a CS rep said I'd suffered enough and she'd get me a new Droid - I didn't even ask, her idea. I said great, thanks. She called back an hour later and said her manager had cancelled the order, and I would have to wait for a D1 refurb, which was out of stock. She said she was told no one could get a D2 as a warranty replacement.

I ran up through several levels of support agents/supervisors/managers over the next couple of days, but everyone told me I could NOT have a D2, they would never give any one a D2, and I had to continue to try to find a working D1 refurb...they were polite but very firm. So I kept receiving D1 refurbs.

Then in the forums the "Hey - I got a D2 warranty replacement for my D1!!" posts started appearing...my temperature started rising again.

After refurbs five and six failed, I called again and was told by the agent that we needed to troubleshoot my droid all over again, rather than just sending me refurb #7. I said no, you're not going to waste my time and got off the call very angry. Luckily I had agreed to do the automated phone survey after the call...I left very strong but polite feedback and a very low satisfaction/recommendation ratings.

Got a call within an hour from a supervisor who reviewed my case and realized I'd been hosed repeatedly and said he'd take care of me...after a few minutes poking around in his system "making sure I have all the parts" he said a new D2 and battery and battery door would be arriving on my door.

So VZW ended up doing the right thing, but it was a really annoying, painful process, especially with them telling me repeatedly that getting a D2 was "impossible" when I could see repeated posts from people who were getting them. The inconsistency and their unwillingness to recognize it was the worst part.

I ended up with:

- Existing from D1: battery, 16GB card, battery door
- New: D2, battery, battery door

So I feel for those of you going through multiple D1 refurbs...I definitely know how annoying it is.

All I can say is remain polite, and if you've been through three, four, five refurbs ask for a supervisor to call you back and see if you get lucky and get one who has a little empathy for your plight.

Upvote 0
Your whole ordeal sounds so much like mine...all the way down to the survey :D I was told all the same stuff as you and in the end had a CSR offer me the new D2 for all I had been through. I hope that everyone on here ends up happy. I agree, be patient and polite but firm. I think they need to throw all these bad D1's in the trash and stop making people suffer.

Upvote 0
I tried the exact same thing but no cigar they kept telling me that there was no possible way they could give me a new device for free...I am on my 10th crap replacement droid and am awaiting another...Spoke to 2 managers one was customer service supervisor and other was tech support supervisor, but they said that if it took 20 droids to fix my problem then that is what would have to happen...the are sure lucky i didnt get survey..i was on the phone with them for 2 damn hours!

edit: and i called them from a Verizon Store while the techs were trying to help me get a Droid 2!! They said the computer didnt let them replace phone like that since beginning of 2010 because of fraud and theft within employees, but let me know what to say in order to try to get me one over the phone..but still no luck. I hope his replacement runs good w/o any problems

Upvote 0
It makes me sick that Verizon' customer service is so awful! Even though I ended up with a new D2, it wasn't without a major fight. I shouldn't be that way. 99% of the problems with the Droid right now is because of something Verizon/Motorola did, not something "we" the consumer did. I am still tempted to file a complaint with the FCC and the BBB. My contract is up next August, and I am still thinking about jumping ship. (although I am not sure AT&T is much better) I just don't think it is right they way they are treating everyone.

Upvote 0
I'll be receiving my 4th replacement Droid today.

1: Went haywire after the 2.2 update and dead pixels
2: Overheated and burned my battery, screen wouldn't work, camera wouldn't work.
3: Camera doesn't work, gallery won't open, won't recognize sd card, and screen barely works.
4: We shall see...I will be making a trip to VZW tonight if it's not right.

Upvote 0
I'll be receiving my 4th replacement Droid today.

1: Went haywire after the 2.2 update and dead pixels
2: Overheated and burned my battery, screen wouldn't work, camera wouldn't work.
3: Camera doesn't work, gallery won't open, won't recognize sd card, and screen barely works.
4: We shall see...I will be making a trip to VZW tonight if it's not right.

Good luck! I wouldn't bother with the VZW store though, they could care less. I would just call Verizon and ask for a supervisor, they can make control what you get :)

Upvote 0
How do you guys go through so many devices. I recently got my phone wet a Sea World and i put in my claim yesterday and they want to replace me with another D1. Now if it is a Refurb and its still acting funky then ill try to address the issue with VZW.

Honestly, I think 95% of you guys are getting greed and want the newest stuff when you can just wait for your upgrade period. Just my own personal thought

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones