• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screennamie

Dec 29, 2009
Never had a smart phone before. I've done a search here but haven't found any answers.

I've recently aquired the Eris from Verizon and yesterday morning the minus volume rocker quit working. The positive, increase volume portion still works though.

As a temporary fix I installed a volume app. but is this normal? Will Verizon give me a new phone if I ask for one or will they make me pay the deductible on my insurance? The phone is only 31 days old. is it worth my time to even go in and ask?

It's never been droped, has the leather case and screen protector. This seems like a manufacturer thing to me. Will I be with out a phone for weeks or will they replace it in store?

What do you guys think, thanks for any info.

Any defect like this would be covered under the manufacturer's warranty, at no cost to you. Take it in and get a new one. They should give it to you right away.

At the most, you'd have to wait 2 days for them to mail you a phone, but you keep your current one until the new one arrives. Then when you get the new one in the mail, there are instructions on how to switch it over (or just take it to the store and have them do it).

But since it's such a new phone, they should have them in stock at the store.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I didn't know they could do that like new, refurbished. I wouldn't take it anyways I paid for a new phone to begin with. I'll be going in tomorrow.

Good to know I'll have a phone at least until it gets replaced.
Don't let them give you a like new replacement. It will be a refurbished piece of crap. Don't do it..

Upvote 0
Got my brand NEW phone today. So far so good just have to reinstall all my apps and set up the home screens.

Only took about an hour to go through all the hoops at the Verizon store. They had to check out the known issues or something like that.

Currently doing the update thing.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Oddly not off-topic --

We are New Yorkers vacationing in CA this week, and my wife's new (2 month old) blackberry chose to stop responding to button presses.

Since she needs a phone and email access 24/7 (for work, even on vacation...), we headed straight to a verizon store. However, since the phone was > 30 days old, they couldn't do a swap, they'd have to replace with a refurb. AND, they had no refurbs in store, they have to ask Verizon to overnight one.

No amount of escalation, reasoning, etc seemed to get them to budge (e.g., as a physician she needs her phone replaced now, not tomorrow; If she paid for a new phone 60 days ago, why should she accept a refurb now?, etc.)

The best they would offer is to lend her a Storm (not a Storm 2, even) until the refurb came in.

Meanwhile I take out my Eris, to kill some time (I have learned that when wife is working on the staff, prepare to wait). Manager sees this, and says, "I think I can give you a Droid for free (after rebate) if you want. And you can keep the refurb blackberry for backup."
Seems that she was able to use my Eris purchase from Nov 13 to get her in on the Eris buy-one-get-one offer.

So, still absurd that she wouldn't be able to get a new phone replaced with new, but still, some creative thinking on the manager's part got the customer out of the store, happy.

(Well not totally -- California has this absurd tax thing, where you pay sales tax on the full $549 list price of the phone!!)

And irony -- I had just bought my wife a personalized ipod touch which is non-returnable, but now possibly obsoleted by the Eris....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones