• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Was there ever a fix for dropped 3G?

bigbadwulff

Android Expert
Jun 15, 2010
My phone is dropping 3G all the time now(never did it before when others complained about it). I do *228(1 and 2) regularly.
I wonder if it's associated with Verizon switching over to 4G and the signal being tested and interrupted locally?

On stock Froyo, rooted.

West Tn.

I actually just called Verizon about that this morning. Dude seemed surprised when he pulled my data logs and noticed how often my signal flucuates considering how many towers were around the areas I frequent. He submitted a ticket, for what thats worth, but I don't really expect a lot to come of it. If they've got my software version on record, I'm on the newest GB leak, so I'm sure they'll blame it on that, but its been going on long before I installed GB...course, my wife's OG Droid is stock unrooted 2.2 and its doing the exact same thing.

As of the last 3 nights, my phone (Droid X) as well as my wife's (OG Droid) have both completely lost data connections around 12:30AM EST. Its the weirdest thing. No normal fixes worked. Tried a battery pull on both, airplane mode on both, and updating the PRLs and even a reactivation on mine and just had to wait it out. Came back after about 45 minutes.

Upvote 0
I actually just called Verizon about that this morning. Dude seemed surprised when he pulled my data logs and noticed how often my signal flucuates considering how many towers were around the areas I frequent. He submitted a ticket, for what thats worth, but I don't really expect a lot to come of it. If they've got my software version on record, I'm on the newest GB leak, so I'm sure they'll blame it on that, but its been going on long before I installed GB...course, my wife's OG Droid is stock unrooted 2.2 and its doing the exact same thing.

As of the last 3 nights, my phone (Droid X) as well as my wife's (OG Droid) have both completely lost data connections around 12:30AM EST. Its the weirdest thing. No normal fixes worked. Tried a battery pull on both, airplane mode on both, and updating the PRLs and even a reactivation on mine and just had to wait it out. Came back after about 45 minutes.
If both you and your wife's phone dropped out, why on the world would you think a battery pull would fix it.

You either have a Verizon issue with blackouts and dropping signals, cell oversaturation in the area, or some interference causing dropped reception.

But one thing is certain, if both phones have issues at the exact same time, it's not the phones. Good that you submitted a ticket, though.

Upvote 0
I used to have the same problem on my DX and it did not seem to matter whether I was on Froyo or GB. I recently got a DX2 and this is absolutely NOT an issue at all. The operating system on the DX2 is still Froyo, but appears almost identical to the leaked version of GB (.588) that I was running. So, I think it might be a hardware issue. I will be upgrading my DX on Friday, so I will see if it makes a difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones