• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Watch movies over the network

pfisch

Lurker
Sep 17, 2011
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I can say that I am completely stumped on how to do this.

What I have right now, I have my external hard drive hooked up to my airport extreme so I can watch movies wirelessly through my house via my laptop. Now, I got a new Vizio tablet the other day and I have been trying to do the same thing with it, but I am completely stumped. I know i can do upnp and I could even set-up a ftp to get the files on my tablet by themselves...and if it comes down to that, that is what Ill do...but does anyone know how to do it as my computer does it.

Any help would be amazing!
Thanks!

I managed it after installing ES File Explorer. I then went on my computer and shared the drive that has my video and music files. I then went to the LAN tab in ES File Explorer and entered the ip address for my PC and entered my computer login info and then I had access to all the files on that drive.

I installed MX Video Player and a Divx codec and the Divx files played fine. I didn't take notes when I did this, so I'm sorry if I left out some steps.

I have problems with wmv files. The audio doesn't seem to sync with the video and I can't play music I saved in wma file format at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones