• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Watch movies over the network

pfisch

Lurker
Sep 17, 2011
Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I can say that I am completely stumped on how to do this.

What I have right now, I have my external hard drive hooked up to my airport extreme so I can watch movies wirelessly through my house via my laptop. Now, I got a new Vizio tablet the other day and I have been trying to do the same thing with it, but I am completely stumped. I know i can do upnp and I could even set-up a ftp to get the files on my tablet by themselves...and if it comes down to that, that is what Ill do...but is there an app for what I want it to do?

Any help would be amazing!
Thanks!

Get an app that allows you to transfer files over wifi. I use ES File Explorer, but there are many others as well. Log into the remote drive with ES file explorer. Browse the remote files and execute a video, music, whatever. It should ask what to open the file with. Choose the music app or whatever else you use to play music.

Basically just do the same thing you do with your laptop, just use something like ES File Explorer to browse and play your multimedia.

Edit: Just noticed you're using a tablet and not a smartphone. The concept is the same though. Just get an app to browse the share over wifi.

Upvote 0
This is exactly how I did this and it works. I use ES File Explorer to map drives, then MX Video Player is able to play all my movies over the network. Some HD movies do not play smoothly (expected) and there was one movie that due to the format/codec used, had to be cached locally before it was possible to play. But AVI, MKV, MP4 all played nicely with no local caching.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones