1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Watching Movies From SD Adapter?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gunnzie, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Gunnzie

Gunnzie Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I've been told you can watch movies directly from a SD card plugged into the SD adapter for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1. However, this plugs into the bottom of the device. So how would you be able to watch a movie from the SD card if the tablet is in a case with a stand. i.e. you wouldn't be able to have the SD adapter plugged in at the same time. Am I missing something?

Advertisement

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Depends how you hold the Tab. I do this from time to time and it works without problems. If you want to put it on a table/ desk, it might be a problem, but holding it in your lap mkes it totally easy.

3. Jensharley

Jensharley Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    You can try turning the screen upside down and the bottom with the attached adapter will be at the top. I don't have an adapter so not sure that works.

4. trevytrev

trevytrev Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    It does work and you can just turn it upside down as others have already said, unfortunately that does mean you can't use the headphone socket, which is a bit of a pain but not the end of the world.

5. Gunnzie

Gunnzie Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    Actually for me that does sound like the end of the world. Not being able to use both the SD adaptor and headphone socket at the same time while standing on a desk is a deal breaker.

My 10.1 arrived this morning at home while IK'm at work. Looks like I'll be returning it for a refund and having a rethink. I did so much research before ordering but managed to overlook something.

6. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    What exactly is wrong with just copying the movies to internal memory and dumping the adapter for the time you are watching them? I do that almost every day and am ot bothere at all. I put a few movies on and do not have to do it again for a few days. If anything, make sure you buy a 32GB one and you will have loads of space for movies.

Buddha64 likes this.
  7. trevytrev

trevytrev Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    This is what I do, personally i don't need to have more that 1 or 2 films on the actual Tab at any given time.

8. fusion1275

fusion1275 Newbie
    None

May 25, 2010
    IT Unix Contractor
    Portsmouth, Hampshire
    Just set up a media server at home and stream all the movies/series/music/photos you want. No need to fork out on adapters and transferring large files.

Unless you are out and about and want to watch them "on the go" then store on the tab and swap and change whenever you get bored of them.

9. Gunnzie

Gunnzie Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I would never do that. Its such a waste of electricity.

10. Jensharley

Jensharley Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Just curious if you returned your tab? I was going to mention that using the SD adapter and headphone jack is possible with my case. It is a RooCase and has an inner sleeve that velcros the tab into the case. Moving it up every so slightly allows room for the headphones. Just a thought if you hadn't already returned your tab.

11. Kpeder

Kpeder Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    You can use a bluetooth head set and hold the tablet upp side down. Problem solved.

12. SammyAcclaim

SammyAcclaim Member
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Although it is my opinion, I think if you aren't streaming you are wasting your time. Unless you are "off the cell grid" I see no point in loading a single media file onto my phone or tablet. In fact I haven't been anywhere yet where local WiFi or my 3g connection either tethered from my phone to my tablet or straight from my phone wasn't available.

As far as the waste of electricity by keeping your PC on for streaming to your mobile devices I try to make up for that in my house by being conservative with other energy users(lights, appliances, etc.). The PC is too important to be turned off now.

13. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Start travelling around the world, that is where problems start.

14. Hagar3

Hagar3 Lurker
    None

May 9, 2011
    The 2 things that bother me most are the location of the charging and adapter plug and the fact that it tell me I have to connect to a Samsung Printer. That's a violation of the monopoly laws. I think Google and Microsoft have been trouble about that.

15. bloodylipp

bloodylipp Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    IM connected to a hp printer.

16. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2012
    Retired
    South Carolina
    I use an app called Cloud Print to print from my HP printer. Works great.

17. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2012
    Retired
    South Carolina
    I use the Samsung case, which folds back and creates a stand. This leaves the port uncovered so it can be used. A bit of ingenuity and you can certainly use it the way you want. A small book or box under each end will lift the tab up off your desk. Leave some space between the books or boxes for the adapter.