• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Watching Your Recorded Videos on Your PS3

Benn514

Jul 20, 2010
Just thought I'd share this with you guys since I've been reading these forums alot since getting my new Vibrant this past week.

Yamb is a program I've been using to be able to change the .mov container of videos to .mp4. Basically, what I use it for is to download movie trailers off the iTunes store, and make them compatible to watch through my PS3 (or Xbox 360) on my 50" HDTV and my surround sound system. You can convert 720p or 1080p trailers to watch on your HDTV with absolutely no loss of video quality or audio quality. Not to mention the conversion process usually lasts anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds.

Now, what do movie trailers have to do with my Samsung Vibrant 720p videos I recorded you may ask?

Well, this same program makes your .3gp videos (the format the Vibrant records in) compatible to watch on your TV, via your PS3 or Xbox 360.

First of course you install the program.

Transfer your recorded videos onto your computer.

Open the program, find the location of your video, convert it. Simple as that.

I've been using this program for a while and noticed the recorded videos where in .3gp format. So I gave it a shot, and BAM! It worked flawlessly. What's even more impressive is to see that same quality you see on your phone screen on your big ass tv. This is great for those moments you say "Look what I got on video!!!" and are able to save it indefinately.

Hope you guys try it out and would like to hear what you think. Thanks!!

Edit: When I have time I time this coming weekend I will make it a bit more user friendly to do. I will post step by step pics of the process. It's extremely simple once you convert just one video. But will be alot clearer. I'm REALLY hoping an Admin can sticky my thread once I do so it doesn't fall to page 100 and this feature is missed by many.

Are you trying to stream?

Sorry I didn't mention the transfer part. I haven't actually tried streaming from the phone although there is a streaming app. But... that would require for you to convert your .3gp video to an .mp4, then transfer it back to your phone then stream it. I'm sure there's a simple fix to have it work properly but I've only transferred photos wirelessly from my phone to PS3 and havent done video yet. So I'm not really sure how well that works yet. But I will give that a shot and post my results in the next couple of days.

You do have 2 other options though.

1) Once the file has been converted, transfer it to a USB flash drive and plug it into your PS3 and you can watch it from there.

2) Transfer the converted file back to your phone, use the charge cable that came with your phone and connect it from your phone to your PS3.

Let me know how that works for you.

Upvote 0
I have used allshare successfully and it was pretty amazing. I can not seem to be able to use the phone as a "pass-through" remote though - ie select media from my NAS and Play it on my PC. But I can play video from my NAS on my phone and I can play video from my phone on my pc - all without wires :) :) :)

Upvote 0
Ok guys I am no where close to tech savvy so I hope this isnt a stupid question but I am trying to use my phone to transfer movies from my pc to my ps3. I have the movies on my phone but my ps3 isnt picking up my phone when I plug it in. Do I need to convert anything? or what do I need to do to transfer the movies?
I stumbled across this when trying to find something helpful on google so Im not sure this has much to do with what yall are talking about. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Ok guys I am no where close to tech savvy so I hope this isnt a stupid question but I am trying to use my phone to transfer movies from my pc to my ps3. I have the movies on my phone but my ps3 isnt picking up my phone when I plug it in. Do I need to convert anything? or what do I need to do to transfer the movies?
I stumbled across this when trying to find something helpful on google so Im not sure this has much to do with what yall are talking about. any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, you need to convert the movies to a format that PS3 reconizes. I convert my videos to .avi files, and it works just fine. Read the first post on this thread for conversion options.

Second, you need to make sure your files are being shared on the home network. Here's a video to help with that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZLczCuaRY

I don't have an issue with my firewall when streaming to my PS3. You may be able to get away with not disabling your firewall.

Upvote 0
An alternative option without having to use the computer:

Step 1: On your phone just Share your video via YouTube

Step 2: View video on youtube channel web browser from your PS3

Many advantages. Let Youtube convert the videos for you. No need to waste any HD space. Quality isn't compromised much since Youtube outputs the best possible resolution (which you can change if need be). You can always change the privacy settings for the videos. Now you can instantly share it with whoever you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones