1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Water damage! Did I make it worse!?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by osubucki2012, Sep 11, 2011.

1. osubucki2012

osubucki2012 Lurker

Friday night at a club I set my phone down on a table now knowing it was wet. There was only a little water but apparenty that was enough to wreck havoc on my phone. I think it was probably in the water for about 10-15 minutes. The water was as if someone has just wiped the table down so I shocked this was enough to damage my phone. Anyways when I picked it up i noticed it was a little wet, wiped it off, and when I went to make a call the screen was black. I panicked and took the battery out. I put it in rice for a day, took it out this morning and it worked PERFECT! Nothing was messed up, I was happy...for about an hour, and then when hooking it up to my charger the screen went fuzzy with red and black dots and then went black again. The phone is still working but once again the screen is not :( Maybe i should leave it in the rice longer? Do you think I may've caused permenant damage by turning it on before it was completely dry? Do I have any hope?!!

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

You did the right thing by placing it in rice, but generally speaking it should be left for at least 48 hours before attempting to turn it on again.

It might have done permanent damage, but at the moment, I recommend sticking it back in a box of rice for another couple of days before doing anything with it again.

3. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Member

I once put a phone through the washing machine (very long story).

But to fix it, I pull it apart as much as I could and put it in a warm dry place for about a week. No issues what so ever after that....

I'd dry yours for a bit longer before trying to use it.

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

The longer a device is powered while wet the more you increase the odds of causing damage. A day isn't anywhere near enough time to fully dry out your device (refer to just about any thread on water and smartphones). It typically takes several days.