• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Water Damage help :(

adohertyd

Lurker
Aug 6, 2011
Hi all,

Was out running today had the Hero with me for a running app. Anyway heavens opened, I got soaked right through and my Hero and MP3 player got zapped :( MP3 player is dead.

Anyway got home took the Hero apart and blasted it with the hair drier. When all appeared dry turned it on and it was working but not very well. Took it apart again, more hair drier and then it worked pretty fine happy days. Sent a text message no problem. 10 mins later went back to it and touch screen was completely gone. Not a peep from it. Took all apart again, more hair drier.

Now when I start up the phone it is stuck at the black 'Hero' screen. It's been like that since. Tried the hair drier again no luck. Anyone have any suggestions I might try? I'm thinking that because it does to the boot screen straight away the phone is salvageable. Really need your help can't afford a new phone!

Stop trying to boot it until you are sure it's dry, for starters. Take out the battery and put it in a bag filled with rice. It will suck the moisture out of the phone. Leave it in there and don't try to boot it up for a couple days. Maybe try to boot it on Monday afternoon. If it is still messed up it may be done. Or cost you more to fix than it's worth.

Upvote 0
Thread moved to troubleshooting section. The advice already given here is spot on.

The best thing to do is to let it dry out for a few days. The rice acts like a desiccant and removes moisture from your handset. Trying to power it on when it is still wet can cause damage to the circuits. Just be patient and hopefully you will be rewarded with an undamaged handset.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys really appreciate the speedy responses. Sorry for putting it in the wrong forum. I'm a real newbie when it comes to this stuff but I tried the boot holding down the home and back key earlier and I got a message saying touchpad: fail. Also tried doing a Hreboot (sp?) from that menu and got messages popping up with various processes failed.

If the dry out fails, would it be worth doing a factory reset? Is there anything else I could try if it still doesn't work? Don't have the money really for repairs or replacement. Also, should I put the bag with the rice in a warm place or does that matter?

Thanks again,

Aaron

Upvote 0
Ok left it overnight in a bowl of rice and it's now turning on but touchscreen is not working and the message "the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." keeps popping up. Any suggestions on where to go from here guys?

If you aren't going to listen to the advice we give then we can't help you.

Upvote 0
Sorry I know I was impatient. But anyway did a factory reset and all working fine. Touchscreen still a little iffy but that's minor compared to having to completely replace the phone. Thanks so much for your advice everyone I really appreciate it and I'm sorry for not following it exactly. Going to put it back in the rice overnight anyway to make sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones