• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Water Damage Warning! Protect it now!

i want to repost this as i was about to but read the thread to see if anyone posted about it..

scotch tape... the glue/adhesive in it.. has water in it.. albeit tiny amounts. if you move the phone from hot to cool situations quickly, overtime this will cause wear on the adhesive. the heat from the phone itself will cause issues with the tape.. discoloring it in the process... again over time... the tape will seal the sticker but will also seal in moisture thats in the ROOM you are in when you APPLY the tape! its best to just be careful with the phone. HTC knew what they were doing when they put the sticker there... they have ben producing phones for many many years...

The tape is a good thought but water & water vapor is notorious .... it will either seep under the tape (tape gets loose if it gets damp) or the humidity from the droplets of water will cause it to change anyway due to condensation. The piece of paper could also retain the dampness and the whole thing might backfire on you if you are in a high humidity location.

That is an awful spot for that indicator. Keep it away from the bathroom when you shower.

Upvote 0
Well if red indicates water, then that got wet already based on photo #2.

Since i have the Evo on hand. I must warn people who get the phone about the Water Damage Sticker that is in the corner of the phone. I see very high potential of having water make it's way to that corner. I personally would mod that sections with scotch tape and a piece of paper over that Water Sticker to prevent water from triggering that spot.

I will post pictures of what i did later. Better be safe than sorry.

attachment.php

Added solution pics. Can't show them because they are huge! check the attachment

Upvote 0
i want to repost this as i was about to but read the thread to see if anyone posted about it..

scotch tape... the glue/adhesive in it.. has water in it.. albeit tiny amounts. if you move the phone from hot to cool situations quickly, overtime this will cause wear on the adhesive. the heat from the phone itself will cause issues with the tape.. discoloring it in the process... again over time... the tape will seal the sticker but will also seal in moisture thats in the ROOM you are in when you APPLY the tape! its best to just be careful with the phone. HTC knew what they were doing when they put the sticker there... they have ben producing phones for many many years...

How about coating it with clear nail polish? :D

Upvote 0

this is the exact reason why i put a piece of paper over it.

Upvote 0
Something like a piece of paper to keep from messing up the sticker, and then a little bit of silicon caulk over/around it should do the trick nicely. It should peel off w/o any issues whenever you need to. I'd test it first, but rubber cement might be a good option as well (as long as you cover the sticker w/ something first.)
be careful because even with tape, the back cover fits tight... anything thicker than tape might cause the cover to not clip on correctly

Upvote 0
Hmm, I just instaled my Phantomskinz full body kit and the sticker is now fully red. I followed the instructions given to me by Phantomskinz--wet my fingers and the skin. Good thing I bought TEP, but is there any way to prove that my phone isn't damaged by water if I have to replace it--I left the battery out when I installed the skin.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I just instaled my Phantomskinz full body kit and the sticker is now fully red. I followed the instructions given to me by Phantomskinz--wet my fingers and the skin. Good thing I bought TEP, but is there any way to prove that my phone isn't damaged by water if I have to replace it--I left the battery out when I installed the skin.

Get a Q-tip, dip one end in bleach and dab the indicator. The same thing happened to me and I did that and it worked wonders.

Upvote 0

There's also a liquid damage indicator inside the phone on the logic board right at the bottom section between the micro usb and mini hdmi ports. They can easily tell that it's only a superficial water contact and not actual liquid damage.

hVm1pujhBWHaYT5X.medium
uISIJojjFCeLoBGx.medium

Upvote 0
I actually don't have the water sticker on that part of the phone, I see the one on the battery, but nothing on the left left corner underneath the backing.

I had one there on the first Evo (got replaced due to a bad USB port), perhaps they know its not a good place to put it, and removed it from newer versions? (Old one was hardware version 2, new one is 3)

Upvote 0
How about coating it with clear nail polish? :D

Except, the nail polish would set it off! I pulled my back off after reading this, and mines deffinately been triggered, solid red. Never got it wet, but its been in 125+ degree attics during work and on the sink with the bathroom* door open while in the shower playing music. BB insurance does cover water dmg, least what the rep told me and from what I read. HW 003

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones