• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Water damage...?

Z

Zella616

I have a "Mobi" HTC Hero phone, which is a hawaiian dedicated cell provider. So this isn't a sprint or anything else, and I don't believe talking to the very small company will do much.

I dropped my hero in a cup of water sometime during the night, while it was still on. Woke up, had the "oh crap" moment, and started to rice-fix. The phone was saturated as far as I can tell. The screen sadly looked like a fish tank, and the thing was dripping. Took out battery and memory and shoved the whole thing in rice for 2 days. Now, 3 days later, I have issues (not like I'm surprised).

First off, yeah, the little water damage stickers bled... I can still easily see the red X's, but the background is pink. I can turn the phone on now, but there is still condensation in the screen that I'm not sure how to get rid of other then just letting it sit (it's very humid here... can I set it in the fridge to "dry" it out?). But the phone does turn on, and the battery still works just fine. I already got a new phone, but I have a friend that would be happy to use this if I can get it "living" again.

When I turn the phone on I get what I believe is the boot menu. White background, with 3 dancing android dudes on the bottoms, and it reads:

HERO XC SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-1.47.0000 (HERO20000)
MICROP-0110
TOUCH PANEL-fail
RADIO-2.42.01.04.23
Mar 1 2010,16:02:39

CLEARSTORAGE
Delete all user data?
<ACTION> Yes
<SEND> No

About all I can do to get a response is press "send" and "end" buttons, with or without the volume up and/or down. That turns the screen on and off, but won't actually turn the phone off. If I press the trackball, it selects the CLEARSTORAGE and "clears...". Nothing else happens. I have the phone off and sitting again now. I turned it on long enough to realize the condensation and to get the data on the screen.

So... is there anything I can do? Is it a complete goner or can I try to resurrect it somehow?

Thanks for any help,
Zella

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones