• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help water damage

A

Android Question

I dropped my HTC Desire 610 in the toilet Saturday night and retrieved it within a minute or less I think and wanted to take the rubber protector off and while I was doing this my phone had turned on 3 times I finally got it off and tried to tap some of the water out of it until I could get some where to dry it and get battery out. while removing the battery 2 of the wires got pulled out of the connector that connects battery to phone when I got home I completely removed battery and SIM card and placed in bag of rice until Monday around 6pm I than took phone apart and replaced battery but phone would not turn on I figured that battery was dead so I plugged into charger. Phone still will not turn on there was corrosion so I cleaned the spots with 91% alcohol and Qtip. still will not turn on. Any ideas what might be wrong? is it a goner? could the screen just need replaced?

Impossible to tell for sure without seeing it. But you should be able to tell if it were just the screen that isn't working (some sound or vibration, or heck just phone it and see whether it rings).

When you say "2 of the wires got pulled out of the connector" that raises the possibility of damage to the battery connection. If so the phone will not boot or charge. If it has a charging LED (most HTCs do, but not some budget models) does that comes on when it is plugged in? If not then either the charger is broken or you have a serious motherboard fault.

But if there was visible corrosion in some spots that's a bad sign, as there might be other corrosion damage you can't see.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones