1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Water damaged Samsung Galaxy J6

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by joshkrupinsky, Oct 4, 2020.

1. joshkrupinsky

joshkrupinsky Newbie

So, my question is my Samsung Galaxy J6 got water damaged, now it won't start, just vibrates over and over again when i plug in the charger. When i connect it to the computer it is only recognized in the download mode. When i launch Odin, it says Added, but when i try to flash it with a combination file or a stock rom, it says Fail. I took it apart and cleaned water damage with a brush and alcohol. But still same result. Does this mean that the motherboard is damaged and there's nothing I can do about it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Did the marker change color? Or, I mean, are you sure it's water damaged?
    Just dropping it in water doesn't make it water damaged.

3. joshkrupinsky

joshkrupinsky Newbie

all markers are red/pink, there's even some of this white powder/residue, or whatever you call it, that appears some time after the water damage

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

This is little solace to you now,

although I would have a good cheap back street repairer look at the motherboard, they may not charge

but if you plugged it in or turned it on straight after it's little swim you exacerbated the damage (made it worse even).

Everyone swears by the method they heard or tried, but I stick by another older gents long technical experience.

It's the (dried) tiny impurities in the water that cause the damage, ie shorting a tiny circuit board or something like that.

Rice may dry the phone quicker, or let it dry naturally (same difference) but a bath in Isopropyl Alcohol (other names) as close to 100% as you can get is the best way to clean the residue off the internals while the device has remained off.

Some immersions can be survivable if you're lucky, I dropped a new flagship Motorola X Style in a flushed toilet on holiday. I left it off for 2 hours and it was OK.
    Your description doesn't bode well for any sort of recovery.
    Have you backed up or accessed your Google account and Photos OK? Register for a Samsung account?

Good luck.

5. joshkrupinsky

joshkrupinsky Newbie

nah, I don't care about it, the phone was a piece of crap anyways and I have a way better device as my main phone, just wanted to know if I could do something with it, just for the hell of it, you know

And, btw, I never keep any important information, including photos and stuff, in my phones

Deleted User likes this.