• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Does anyone know how submersible, if at all this phone is? The wording on the verizon site says it withstands "water* immersion", but I can't see a footnote for what that asterisk is about.
Another page says that it meets military standards for durability by being 810g certified. When I google 810c certification, I find a wikipedia page which includes this:
" MIL-STD-810 is a flexible standard that allows users to tailor test methods to fit the application. As a result, a vendor's claims of "...compliance to MIL-STD-810..." can be misleading. Because no commercial organization or agency certifies compliance, commercial vendors can create the test methods or approaches to fit their product. Suppliers can

My old Commando port seals were like submarine ports. No chance of leaking. The new ones feel all floppy and don't snap down as secure. I'm not impressed.

Can anyone look at their new one and see if the headphone port has an O-ring. Mine doesn't and the cover is very loose, no way it is going to hold out water in a pool, or even the shower.

I called the store where I got the phone and they were clueless, telling me that it was water resistant, not water proof, because no electronics can be waterproof. :rolleyes:

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
My old Commando port seals were like submarine ports. No chance of leaking. The new ones feel all floppy and don't snap down as secure. I'm not impressed.

Can anyone look at their new one and see if the headphone port has an O-ring. Mine doesn't and the cover is very loose, no way it is going to hold out water in a pool, or even the shower.

I called the store where I got the phone and they were clueless, telling me that it was water resistant, not water proof, because no electronics can be waterproof. :rolleyes:

That was one of the reasons I left the store the other day without the new phone. I seriously doubt the C811 is as durable or water tight as the C711. That earphone jack pops right open and has no rubber o ring. I'm following a few of these threads to see if anyone has given it the beating it will see once I have it. Or worse yet if I upgrade to the new one for my fianc

Upvote 0
Is it a separate o-ring like the usb port? Mine doesn't have a separate black o-ring on the headphone jack. I can flick the headphone jack cap off with my fingernail with out even trying.

No o ring that I could see on the demo phone, and when a smacked it against the wall at the store the ear phone cover came open. If it is bumped underwater or it hits the bottom of a pool, I'm guessing it will be toast.

Upvote 0
I use one of my C771 phones in the shower, and a couple times it dropped when I went to change the song. I even use it as a hammer for small nails in my room. Even was using it in the rain, until the screen became too wet. It does survive hitting screen first against a rock very fast from a porch. Just rinse off and keep using :)
*throw my phone on the ground*
"Willie! Stop making dents in our floor!" <-lol

Upvote 0
Used mine in the pool as well and once underwater the screen is useless and does not function at all. No way to take photos since there is no dedicated camera button.
Also no way (yet) to command the tactile key to act as a shutter release, so you can take photos. Going to try placing phone in glove mode as I noticed a change in the available camera buttons.

Upvote 0
I've tested mine in water. The rubber that the headphone jack is made of seems to keep the water out. I just make sure that port is firmly closed. It isn't as secure as the USB port or the battery door. But as long as the headphone jack cover doesn't have water on the jack side then water can't pass through.

This is a picture I took of the phone in about 8 inches of spring water. I've also dunked it in a bowl of water the day I bought it. Rinsed it off too. Seemed to be OK. I just always dry all the ports!

Attachments

• 1379821689558.jpg
    1379821689558.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones