1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Water* Immersion

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SalvageCraft, Jul 7, 2013.

1. SalvageCraft

SalvageCraft Lurker

Does anyone know how submersible, if at all this phone is? The wording on the verizon site says it withstands "water* immersion", but I can't see a footnote for what that asterisk is about.
    Another page says that it meets military standards for durability by being 810g certified. When I google 810c certification, I find a wikipedia page which includes this:
    " MIL-STD-810 is a flexible standard that allows users to tailor test methods to fit the application. As a result, a vendor's claims of "...compliance to MIL-STD-810..." can be misleading. Because no commercial organization or agency certifies compliance, commercial vendors can create the test methods or approaches to fit their product. Suppliers can

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. JOxborrow

JOxborrow Lurker

It is rated at 1 meter for 30 minutes, MIL-STD 512.5 Procedure I.

From the Casio gzone website.

Willster419, scary alien and Atma like this.
  3. elderlypunk

elderlypunk Member

I used my last commando to take underwater pictures and video, so I expect this one to be no different... I've already used it to play music in the shower , but haven't had a chance to hard test it....

scary alien likes this.
  4. VinylHanger

VinylHanger Lurker

My old Commando port seals were like submarine ports. No chance of leaking. The new ones feel all floppy and don't snap down as secure. I'm not impressed.

Can anyone look at their new one and see if the headphone port has an O-ring. Mine doesn't and the cover is very loose, no way it is going to hold out water in a pool, or even the shower.

I called the store where I got the phone and they were clueless, telling me that it was water resistant, not water proof, because no electronics can be waterproof. :rolleyes:

scary alien likes this.
  5. elderlypunk

elderlypunk Member

I've chucked mine into the pool with no ill effects, for what that's worth. I think it's about the same as the old one....

6. elderlypunk

elderlypunk Member

And headphone port has a small o ring that fits in the port, rather than sealing the whole hatch, so that may be concerning ...

7. VinylHanger

VinylHanger Lurker

Is it a separate o-ring like the usb port? Mine doesn't have a separate black o-ring on the headphone jack. I can flick the headphone jack cap off with my fingernail with out even trying.

8. elderlypunk

elderlypunk Member

No, it is a small plug in the middle of the cover, not an edge seal like the USB port

9. MiltHerch

MiltHerch Lurker

Just got the new one, and haven't "tested" it yet, but my old one was dropped of a pier in 6 feet of water, and it was almost an hour before I could hobble together enough crab net extensions to retrieve it. Still works fine. The new "O" rings look a bit different. I hope they don't lessen the seal...

10. RealtyPro7

RealtyPro7 Newbie

That was one of the reasons I left the store the other day without the new phone. I seriously doubt the C811 is as durable or water tight as the C711. That earphone jack pops right open and has no rubber o ring. I'm following a few of these threads to see if anyone has given it the beating it will see once I have it. Or worse yet if I upgrade to the new one for my fianc

11. RealtyPro7

RealtyPro7 Newbie

No o ring that I could see on the demo phone, and when a smacked it against the wall at the store the ear phone cover came open. If it is bumped underwater or it hits the bottom of a pool, I'm guessing it will be toast.

12. unitypunk

unitypunk Android Enthusiast

mines been in and out of the pool, the earpiece gets waterlogged like the last one, but a quick blow into it should clear it up, may need to restart device to get sound back sometimes.

touch screen still is useless underwater. how are we all doing underwater pics/vids?

13. mkhol

mkhol Newbie

I've tossed mine in a pool on a bet and had it under water in my shorts while swimming in a river (actually fell out of kayak)...only issue, took about 24 hours for the speaker to clear up, must have got water logged..??

14. Willster419

Willster419 The Casio Smartphone Guru

I use one of my C771 phones in the shower, and a couple times it dropped when I went to change the song. I even use it as a hammer for small nails in my room. Even was using it in the rain, until the screen became too wet. It does survive hitting screen first against a rock very fast from a porch. Just rinse off and keep using :)
    *throw my phone on the ground*
    "Willie! Stop making dents in our floor!" <-lol

15. bestaudioguy

bestaudioguy Well-Known Member

Used mine in the pool as well and once underwater the screen is useless and does not function at all. No way to take photos since there is no dedicated camera button.
    Also no way (yet) to command the tactile key to act as a shutter release, so you can take photos. Going to try placing phone in glove mode as I noticed a change in the available camera buttons.

16. xmguy1

xmguy1 Well-Known Member

I've tested mine in water. The rubber that the headphone jack is made of seems to keep the water out. I just make sure that port is firmly closed. It isn't as secure as the USB port or the battery door. But as long as the headphone jack cover doesn't have water on the jack side then water can't pass through.

This is a picture I took of the phone in about 8 inches of spring water. I've also dunked it in a bowl of water the day I bought it. Rinsed it off too. Seemed to be OK. I just always dry all the ports!

Attached Files:

17. unitypunk

unitypunk Android Enthusiast

what lock screen is that?

18. xmguy1

xmguy1 Well-Known Member

I HATE the lock screen / call answer screens . So I installed Widget Locker on the phone.

unitypunk likes this.

Casio G'Zone Commando 4G LTE Forum

The Casio G'Zone Commando 4G LTE release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, processor, and 1460mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews