• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Waterproof inside of pack and fix rip at bottom

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
What would be good for this? Would duct tape work? Thank goodness I at least have some of that, though not a lot, from the dollar store. It's not huge, just about the size a student might take to school, with a main compartment and a smaller one that both zip. By the way, what's good to fix a stubborn zipper? I was told a crayon because of the wax, but it didn't work. Again, though, it's that cheap dollar store kind of crayon.

If it's a good backpack, just with a rip, I'd probably stitch the rip together. Waterproofing is an entirely different thing, though. One can get waterproofing spray at a hardware store.

For stubborn zippers, cleaning the teeth if they are dirty and using something like beeswax might help, but for cheap zippers there really isn't any fixing it.

Upvote 0
Cleaning the zipper and applying a light coat of silicone spray might help your zipper. As noted above, if it's a cheap zipper there isn't a lot that can improve it better than it's design. As for water sealing an interior breach I would suggest flex seal tape. It's not a fix all but it does a fair job.

Upvote 0
just put a trash bag over the backpack....like this:
v4-460px-Make-a-Backpack-Rain-Cover-Step-16.jpg.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
As far as backpacks and other nylon (or whatever) material carrying luggage goes...

unfortunately you are putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

The absoulute best repair?
Probably duct taping the inside (turn the pack inside out first) and the outside and then stiching it around the outside of the repair, and then also crossing through the center a couple/few times.

Then use wax (by rubbing) over the outside.

This is how I fix tents and other such things.

Keep in mind that this repair will be stronger than the original material, so you will experience more problems along side of or near the same areas.
The same repair can be done again, and again.
Eventually, you will have a double duct-taped stiched backpack.

Upvote 0
Of course, if you have a Louis Vuitton, you are probably not shopping at the Dollar Store

Nah, you're probably buying LV cheap online from Wish, AliExpress, etc.

We lave loads of Louis Vuitton, Louise Vittin, Giorgio Armani, Georgie Amanda, etc. in China,
....including LV houses..
52551_2_800.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones