• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
Hello

I was wondering if there was a way to find out how much wattage my computer is using currently. I already built my computer, and am not looking for a calculator at all. I have a 650 Watt Power supply, but I want to know how much of the 650 watts I am using right now. Is this even possible to figure out?

Upvote 0
I'm sure this is something that could not be done with software alone, not measuring the amount of electricity flowing through the PC. Most desktop PCs have temperature monitoring, and that's about it.

These power measuring meters can be pretty inexpensive, $15-$20 I think. I know some people use them with their fridge-freezers, to see just how much they're costing them to run.

One way you might be able to do it, without any additional purchase, every house and apartment has a watt-hour meter that belongs to the electricity company. Turn everything off except your PC, and see how fast the wheel inside the meter goes round with just the PC alone. If you do this for a couple of hours, you should be able to calculate pretty accurately just how much your PC has consumed by looking at the dials on the meter.

Upvote 0
I'm sure this is something that could not be done with software alone, not measuring the amount of electricity flowing through the PC. Most desktop PCs have temperature monitoring, and that's about it.

These power measuring meters can be pretty inexpensive, $15-$20 I think. I know some people use them with their fridge-freezers, to see just how much they're costing them to run.

One way you might be able to do it, without any additional purchase, every house and apartment has a watt-hour meter that belongs to the electricity company. Turn everything off except your PC, and see how fast the wheel inside the meter goes round with just the PC alone. If you do this for a couple of hours, you should be able to calculate pretty accurately just how much your PC has consumed by looking at the dials on the meter.
Is that what that thing is? I used to look at that thing, but I always thought it was for the water.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones