• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Way To Go Texas

Now if we can all just do a rain dance... Texas will be perfect!
Texas is burning to the ground. You can thank Perry which cut the fire fighting budget by 75%. Which means that people and equipment that is needed to protect you against the fire, has been cut by Perry. He also voted to cut the forestry by 34 million dollars.

But that is ok, because Perry is now crawling to Washington and Obama, begging him to bail texas out of this mess. Of course, he is not willing to say that spending cuts as to be part of the deal. He just wants the money to bail out his failed policies. Could someone close to Perry please inform him that if he becomes president, there is no one that can step in and bail you out once you defiled civil protective infrastructure.

I could hammer on Perry all week, but to be honest, it is way to easy. He makes Bush look like a positive genus.
Texas cut wildfire-battling agency budget this year - Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com
Volunteer firefighters in Texas struggle with financial crisis | kvue.com Austin
While Taking Federal Cash For Wildfires, Rick Perry Complains: ‘Why Are You Taking Care Of Alabama?’ | ThinkProgress

Reactions: OutofDate1980
Upvote 0
My guess is as Texas prospers, other states will try to follow. I read a link to why Texas should perhaps be given less credit than the headlines suggest, but apparently, you are growing and creating jobs at a much higher national average. Good for you.

I would move there if the climate were more to my linking.

Not trying to be obstinate just for the sake of arguing..

but, I feel inclined to ask "what kind of jobs." I do realize we are quickly reaching a point where any job you can get is a blessing..

On the other hand..no one wants to go to college 4 years to flip burgers or anything..

Heck even those that don't go to college or finish it want better jobs than slave labor..

Upvote 0
Not trying to be obstinate just for the sake of arguing..

but, I feel inclined to ask "what kind of jobs." I do realize we are quickly reaching a point where any job you can get is a blessing..

On the other hand..no one wants to go to college 4 years to flip burgers or anything..

Heck even those that don't go to college or finish it want better jobs than slave labor..

I do not follow Texas and their job situation. I do wonder about prospective employees, however. Here in Utah, many jobs go unfilled because many that apply are completely unqualified.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that in this economy, employers are looking for qualified people because they cannot afford to waste tine and money training from scratch. I remember when we would train people to setup, troubleshoot and operate surface mount equipment. It took time and effort to do the training.

I know of several local manufacturers looking for machine operators, but they prospective employees must have previous experience. In one case, there is a few jobs for people that can troubleshoot PCBs at the component level and the only applicants this company is getting are those with soldering skills and no electronics experience.

Perhaps another problem is poor attitude, a desire to be highly paid from the beginning, a high school diploma, and some past experience in the field they want to work in. It is tough for some people and easy for others.

As for Texas, it is a great place to work and live. If I were not as lazy as I am, I would find a few boxes, pack my crap, buy a Stetson, and head for Texas.

Upvote 0
I do not follow Texas and their job situation. I do wonder about prospective employees, however. Here in Utah, many jobs go unfilled because many that apply are completely unqualified.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that in this economy, employers are looking for qualified people because they cannot afford to waste tine and money training from scratch. I remember when we would train people to setup, troubleshoot and operate surface mount equipment. It took time and effort to do the training.
See.. I think this is where part of the problem now comes in.

It isn't so much the "economy" as more bad business practices (or at least I believe this even if I can't factually back it up)

I worked at lowes.. and they had insane turn over rates.. They couldn't afford to give a .25$ raise to my girlfriend who had been there a year which is what they promised her at hiring.. a minimum .25$ raise every year.

But, they could afford to train a bunch of new people for 8$ an hour over the course of 2 days most of which would quit in 6 months.

They had no desire to make employees happy, no desire to do anything other than make money.. And while I am not stupid.. I understand all businesses want to make money..

It really doesn't pay to completely not care about your employees.. who in turn won't care about their job.. Being more likely to quit.. which means more work for HR, more training new employees more lost profit because your having to constantly replace people..

A perfect example.. You don't pay your cell phone carrier to make money you pay them for cell phone service..

So.. On one hand I think training employees is wonderful.. They get new skills.. and if you treat them right you may earn some loyalty.

On the flipside.. if you don't treat them right.. it equates directly to lost money and wasted time..

I just think a lot of businesses only look at the negatives these days..
I know of several local manufacturers looking for machine operators, but they prospective employees must have previous experience. In one case, there is a few jobs for people that can troubleshoot PCBs at the component level and the only applicants this company is getting are those with soldering skills and no electronics experience.

Perhaps another problem is poor attitude, a desire to be highly paid from the beginning, a high school diploma, and some past experience in the field they want to work in. It is tough for some people and easy for others.

As for Texas, it is a great place to work and live. If I were not as lazy as I am, I would find a few boxes, pack my crap, buy a Stetson, and head for Texas.
I think it goes both ways honestly..

I think people walk in wanting "financial security" which is a big expectation for anyone these days.

I understand companies want to find skilled employees.. but, I think if the company itself isn't doing anything to help out employees then it is really shooting itself in the foot.

There is a great opportunity to create loyal employees and form mutually beneficial relationships when it comes to training.

Sadly most of the negatives come out in those kind of situations I think.

Upvote 0
I live in Texas and the statistic is pretty much a sham. While lower cost of living is more attractive for companies to move here and hire, it's mostly because then they can offer lower wages. It's like we're the last stop before an outsource to India. To give you an idea I was contacted by a few companies this past year (what I get for not deleting my profile in Careerbuilder). One company wanted me to work shift work (open to all hours of the day across all shifts). They didn't offer a shift differential and were paying $10 an hour for helpdesk support. I politely told the recruiter that I couldn't afford to pay my bills and maintain that job. The next recruiter that contacted me was offering a little more, $12.00 per hour, and the requirements were only a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science AND you had to speak fluent Japanese. I'm not sure what the recruiters for this position were thinking, if you had to take out a loan to pay for a 4 year degree, how do they figure a $25,000 a year salary is going to allow you to pay your housing, transportation, AND any student loans.

As bad as we rank in Texas in Education and Healthcare, I'm not sure celebrating that we have created more jobs (many of them low paying jobs) is anything to applaud.

Under Perry, Texas leads in job growth, though many are low-wage | Perry Watch - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

And another reason we've created jobs in Texas is due to all the drilling of natural gas and oil, which with the loosened regulations, we're seeing an increase in earthquakes in areas that have NEVER seen earthquakes in the past, and we're seeing people near those drilling areas experiencing....well here this does a better job of explaining.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrnnQ17SH_A

And the tea baggers want LESS regulation. I guess they want EXPLODING tap water....

Upvote 0
Texas does it right, if for profit foreign firms want your private property for their private gain, then have their bought and paid for ALEC politicians declare your property eminent domain, it's the five time convicted criminals outside the state Koch Industries way of crony capitalism.

So Texas, vote ALEX prostitutes (yes I'm defaming prostitutes when I associate them with ALEX) back in office. Here's a list. Texas ALEC Politicians - SourceWatch

Daryl Hannah Arrested In Texas For Protesting Pipeline

"TransCanada began construction of that portion of the pipeline this summer after receiving the necessary permits. Some Texas landowners, joined by activists from outside the state, have tried through various protests to stop or slow down construction."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones