1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Way to stop notifications "overlapping" ?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by youradds, Jul 16, 2013.

1. youradds

youradds Member
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    Hi,

I've just installed this app on my my Samsung S4:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS53YXplIl0.

It works fine - apart from a really annoying (Android, I think) feature. I'll be playing my Spotify music in the background, and then when a notification comes up for directions - it stops the music, plays the message, and then restarts the music.

I've had the same problem with other apps with email notifications, FB notification, etc... is there a way just to have the "overlap" each other? i.e carry on playing - while putting the alert over the top of the music? I've got 200 miles to travel on friday, and I'm afraid this will end up driving me nuts!

TIA

Andy

Advertisement

2. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    iOS does it too. I do not believe there is a way to fix it though. You could put the device in silent mode which doesn't affect music but instead of the alert going off, you get a short pause in the playback where the alert would be. Airplane mode is the only work around at this point.

3. youradds

youradds Member
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Ah man, that sucks :( I just got rid of my iPod which was used for music - cos I now use Spotify exclusively in my car. Normally its not a problem (as FB/Gmail notifications dont bother me too much)... its just when you keep getting SatNav notifications all the time (which I DO wanna hear, but just don't like the way they totally cut out the music :/)

Airplane mode would stop GPS/ 3G from working too, wouldnt it?

Cheers

4. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    Not if you turn GPS back on after you enable airplane mode. It will disable internet access via mobile data (3G, LTE, etc) however. Alternatively, you can disable auto sync, I mean, you won't be Facebooking while driving, right?

5. youradds

youradds Member
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    Yeah - I guess disabling FB/Gmail notifications could work.. but thats not really the issue :) Its more the fact that with Spotify, you play music... but then when new directions come up on the SatNav (quite often, when in built up areas, or with lots of turns), then it "pauses" the music - says the command, then starts playing again. Not a problem if this didn't happen too often... but when you get maybe 3 messages every couple of minutes, you almost get to the point of just turning the music off, as its really annoying :(

6. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    I never used Satnav so I cannot help you there. I am guessing you mean turn-by-turn directions?

7. youradds

youradds Member
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    Ya :) Its ok on long stretches of road (where you dont get too many notifications), but in built up areas its just painful

8. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    i suppose you must make a decision as to which is more important. getting to where you are traveling on time or playing music

9. youradds

youradds Member
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    Yup. I just tested it out on a quite short journey (20 miles), and the volume of the person talking to you is pretty rubbish - so prob need to play with that a bit. I guess for the amount of use I give it, that'll have to do :)

10. Joelgp83

Joelgp83 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 30, 2012
    California
    Sadly, this may be a programming / driver issue -- the phone's audio software driver might not support mixing audio from two or separate programs at once.

It reminds me of the early windows sound driver days, before DirectSound -- only one program could access the sound chip at at time.

11. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    Yeah, I remember the rather predictable crash Windows 3.1 threw at me when America Online tried to play two sounds at once!

12. MichealShawn

MichealShawn Lurker
    None

Jul 16, 2013
    Businessman and a consultancy agency owner .
    USA
    You could put the product in quiet method which doesn't impact songs but instead of the awareness going off, you may get a brief stop in the play-back where the aware would be. Aircraft method is the only perform around at this factor.

13. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    I mentioned silent mode, and airplane mode. I think he wants the turn by turn directions on, and music but avoid having the music playback stop whenever the turn-by-turn talks. Not sure that is possible though. Either he must sacrifice music or turn the spoken directions off.

14. youradds

youradds Member
    None

Aug 30, 2011
    Yeah, sounds about right :( I think I'm gonna just have to copy a load of music to my USB stick, and run it directly in the sterio. Then have the SatNav giving directions via the phone speak (instead of through the stereo). Not ideal, but I guess its better than nothing :thinking: