• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Way to stop notifications "overlapping" ?

youradds

Aug 30, 2011
Hi,

I've just installed this app on my my Samsung S4:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS53YXplIl0.

It works fine - apart from a really annoying (Android, I think) feature. I'll be playing my Spotify music in the background, and then when a notification comes up for directions - it stops the music, plays the message, and then restarts the music.

I've had the same problem with other apps with email notifications, FB notification, etc... is there a way just to have the "overlap" each other? i.e carry on playing - while putting the alert over the top of the music? I've got 200 miles to travel on friday, and I'm afraid this will end up driving me nuts!

TIA

Andy

Thanks for the reply. Ah man, that sucks :( I just got rid of my iPod which was used for music - cos I now use Spotify exclusively in my car. Normally its not a problem (as FB/Gmail notifications dont bother me too much)... its just when you keep getting SatNav notifications all the time (which I DO wanna hear, but just don't like the way they totally cut out the music :/)

Airplane mode would stop GPS/ 3G from working too, wouldnt it?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Yeah - I guess disabling FB/Gmail notifications could work.. but thats not really the issue :) Its more the fact that with Spotify, you play music... but then when new directions come up on the SatNav (quite often, when in built up areas, or with lots of turns), then it "pauses" the music - says the command, then starts playing again. Not a problem if this didn't happen too often... but when you get maybe 3 messages every couple of minutes, you almost get to the point of just turning the music off, as its really annoying :(

Upvote 0
I mentioned silent mode, and airplane mode. I think he wants the turn by turn directions on, and music but avoid having the music playback stop whenever the turn-by-turn talks. Not sure that is possible though. Either he must sacrifice music or turn the spoken directions off.

Yeah, sounds about right :( I think I'm gonna just have to copy a load of music to my USB stick, and run it directly in the sterio. Then have the SatNav giving directions via the phone speak (instead of through the stereo). Not ideal, but I guess its better than nothing :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones