1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Way to tell if actually charging

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tcope, Jan 14, 2013.

1. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    Is there a screen or way to see more detailed information about the charging of the S3?

I've been having issues with my phone not charging. I've done a factory reset and bought 2 more OEM batteries with no help.

I can plug the OEM wall charger into the phone and the phone states its charging. It actually looses charge some of the time. It's also sits motionless on a table and I hear the charging sound sound 3 or 4 times right in a row. The lock screen cycles between showing the phone is idle and then charging each time the phone sounds off.

I suspect that the charging circuit in the phone is not working correctly. I'm wondering if there might be a debug or developer screen that will show if the phone is actually charging or not. As mentioned above, a lot of times the charging lightning bolt shows up on the battery and the lock screen states the phone is charging but it's actually loosing charge while the phone is idle (other times it's sitting idle and actually gains a charge).

I'm thinking I'd have a tough time showing Tmobile or Samsung that the phone is defective... especially without giving up the phone for several days.

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    I use Battery Monitor Widget
    in the history screen, it shows you how it is charging and you can set it to "write" to the history every 1,2,5 etc minutes and then save it to the sd card.:)

3. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    Thanks! I installed it and the results were very revealing. I turned Airplane mode on and plugged the phone into a wall charger. I noticed that the battery was "Discharging"... even though it should have been charging. I unplugged it and plugged it back in several times. I also tried other charges. No change. I then left it sitting there and all of a sudden it changed to "Charging". I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It read Discharging for 57 seconds and then changed to Charging. I unplugged and plugged it back in and it immediately read Charging.

Attached Files:

funkylogik likes this.
  4. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Have you tried a different cord? Just trying to rule out the o.e. cord.
    Or, is there some dust/dirt/fuzz/etc in the charging port of the phone?
    Just some things to try:)

5. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    All different chargers and cords. No fuzz in the phone port as I just got done running it through the washing machine.

Yes... I was kidding about the washing machine.

Well, I thought you had something there. I blew out the port with my breath and plugged the charger in. It worked the 7 or so times I did this and I thought WTF... this just solved my problem. Then I unplugged the charger and the phone kept reading that it was plugged into the AC and charging. I plugged it back in and it switched to AC plugged and Discharging.

Further....

I did it again and it seems to reading Charging now about 90% of the time. If I move the phone it goes to Discharging but then always seems to go back to Charging. So I think that there is probably some dust in the port. I'll probably put a vacuum hose near the post... being careful not to apply too much suction.

But man... I'm SO VERY HAPPY RIGHT NOW! This was driving me CRAZY!

6. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    Spoke to soon. It's right back to how it was. I plugged it in about 30 times and each time it read Discharging. I unplugged it the last time and it still read that it was plugged in. After about 30 seconds it went to Discharge and unplugged.

I really just think the internal phone charger is FUBARed.

7. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Just throwing this out there, but are you using a power strip for your charger?

8. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    Yup. As I think I know where this is going, I'll plug the charger directly into a wall outlet.

Did so... same results.

My micro (not mini?) plug wiggles a little in the phone. When I wiggle it, it sometimes changes to Unplugged and then back to AC plugged. I'm not sure if this is normal. If I set the phone down it always reads AC plugged (that it's plugged in... just does not always read Charging).

9. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Should it wiggle? Mine does not with the O.E. cord. It does a little with other cords.
    Before bringing it in for repair/replacement, try a new cord and perhaps some "Air in a Can" to blow out the port.
    If those suggestions don't work, I think your usb port on the phone may be damaged...sorry:(

10. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    interesting post. the only time i EVER lose charge while plugged in when i use my adaptor that lets you plug into the tv (because that actual adaptor seems to need some power)

ive had films download while playing a heavy game or had music full volume while downloading something and browsing with Chrome while wired so somethings a healthy wrong :thinking:

p.s, i noticed my with my fiances BB charger, it runs down faster n ive read that the pins or wiring are different in Sammy charger so the phone recogniser it n charges faster.
    duno if thats cat poo and it doesnt help ur problem but id use the warranty if i was u :)

Mikestony likes this.
  11. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    After while I plugged the charger in and the phone would not do anything. Sometimes it would acknowledge the AC being plugged in and not charge. When I remove the charger, the phone still states its plugged in. I've come to the conclusion that the phone USB port is FUBARed.

I called Samsung as it's 6 months old. Through them I'd need to mail it in, wait 5-7 days and then they would mail it back. This is my only phone and I also need it for work. I can't be without it for 2 weeks. I spoke to Tmobile as they have a Replacement Program. They will send me a new S3. I mail the old one back and they return it to Samsung. If Samsung states it's covered under warranty then I keep the new phone from TM and all is good. This costs me $20. But the TM rep pointed out that I could add the Protection Plan for $7 and the cost goes down to $5 and they also send the phone over night delivery. So the total cost is $13 and I can cancel the Protection Plan within that month. This way I'll also get a brand new S3 which is a good deal to me.

Thank you for all of your help. I was really getting frustrated. I use my phone a lot. It's my alarm clock, my calendar, my phone, my email, etc. I can't have it going dead all of the time.

Mikestony likes this.