1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Way too many similar applications in the market

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by AngelicCore, Sep 27, 2011.

1. AngelicCore

AngelicCore Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
    Hi,
    Is it just me or do you guys find it a bit annoying as well?
    For almost every function there is, at least 4 or 5 similar 4.5 star alternative and you have to download all of them just to see which one suits you best.
    For instance if you were looking for a file manager..you'd find Es file manager.. Linda..root explorer..astro..File manager..File expert..
    Same goes for task managers..players..gps navigators... etc.

I know lots and lots of apps is supposed to be a good thing but sometimes it isn't
    Anyone else?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Each one has their pluses and minuses...pro's and con's ... quids and pro quo's ;)

For example I find Astro better for browsing local files, but ES works better across Wifi shares. Root Explorer for when I need to make changes as root.

The media players support different codecs and have different library formats.

When you go to the grocery store there is an aisle with just breakfast cereals ... so many to choose from. Personally, I can pass by Count Chocula and Quaker Oats Horse grain on the way to the Cheerios, but I'm glad that for those who what that choice, they are there.

Petrah likes this.
  3. AngelicCore

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
    hmmm I do agree to be honest.
    It's just a bit of a headache having 5 file managers installed just because each one is better than the others in some things.

But I do agree..and after all competition is in our best interest.

4. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    Isn't that kind of like saying there's far too many shoes in the shoeshop and you have to try on a few pairs of similar style to find the one you prefer? :rolleyes:

Reading the user feedback on apps is always a good idea; can give some idea of pros and cons found by other users.

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    It depends on what you want in an app. I was looking for a sound widget and brightness widget. There are many to choose from and because of the variety of apps available, I was able to find the widgets that suits my needs. They are all similar, but the differences, although minute in some cases, matter to me for these particular widgets.

6. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Jefe...Wouldn't you say its better to have a pleathora of similliar apps?

Si, El Guapo!!! A pleathora is definitely better.

Jefe?....Yes El Guapo?....What is a pleathora?....

Sorry, lol! I think it's better to have a choice of apps that are similar, because one just might do something you need, that another may not.

7. AngelicCore

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
    Thanks for the replies.
    So do all of you use multiple apps for the same function or just choose one and stick to it?

8. sohguanh

sohguanh Android Enthusiast
    None

It is the same concept when you are looking for your life future spouse isn't it ? You want more choices so you can make a selection isn't it ? Well if you like this then you should not be alarmed by many apps of similar functionalities. Pick and choose to your heart's content :)

9. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    @T.M.M.L., NICE three amigos reset!

OP: I'd always prefer to have too many choices versus too few. At least this way, if what I have doesn't work, I've got others to try out. If you feel overwhelmed, just read the reviews for the first two or three and see which has the most positive feedback from users of the same model of phone as yours.

T.M.M.L likes this.
  10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I dont normally have doubles (unless you count SugarSync+Dropbox, each set for different uses, and the default TW apps that I dont use anymore but cant uninstall, like messaging, phone, etc). When I do have doubles, like UberMusic vs PowerAMP, its because I would be trying one out. I currently use UberMusic, as I like the looks and clean widget better. I've just also downloaded the poweramp trial to see how it goes.

11. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    There were two apps that I was looking for where there were many choices. One was a widget that changes the screen brightness with a single touch. The other was a widget that changes my sound settings.

There were many screen brightness widgets. The built in one and a bunch of others I have seen. What I wanted was a widget that cycles through three different brightnesses that I can choose. I found one where I can program the brightnesses at 9%, 30% and 100%. With a tap of the widget, it will cycle through each of these three. This is exactly what I wanted. Other ones that I tried but didn't like either had too many programmable brightnesses or had brightnesses that were not programmable. I only used the one that I liked.

There were also many widgets that controlled my sound settings. I do not recall what other ones I have seen. The one that I wanted allowed me to have 3 different settings. Each setting allowed a different sound level for ringing, notifications, alarm, etc. I wanted to turn off all sounds except my alarm and ring tone when I go to bed. When I wake up, I wanted to turn all sounds back on. Since I go to bed and wake up at different times every day, I wanted a widget that I can manually toggle between the two settings. The sound widget I found did exactly that. It had 3 settings instead of the 2 that I need. When I tap on one part of the widget, I turn the sound on, when I tap on a different part of the widget, I turn off notification sounds. I did look at a number of them before finding this one that I really liked.

When I found the widget that I wanted, there was no reason to use any others. I did try other ones for a time, but eventually settled on the widget I needed and I removed the rest.

12. 6StringDave

6StringDave Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    I have to agree, it's best that the our choice of apps be left to us, the users.

What we should demand change of is the quality of app filtering when you do a search on anything specific. For example, a search on "black box" or "camera" should not swamp you with 400% more apps for NFL clocks. Noteably, these annoyances are always commercial (paid apps), and they do have the look of commercial productions. It's annoying enough the way Google has been whoring out our time when we use the Market, but it's inexcusable for them to dump the new Market on us, one which makes the search process twice as convoluted and annoying, fails at least 500% of the installations as it ever did, and still throws unrelated spam at us.

13. AngelicCore

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
    Do agree

Sadly the ones i am talking about usually have 4.5 and very satisfied reviewers, all of them.

I am starting to do the same thing, download all apps then try to remove all but one after trying them out.
    Takes time though.

Agree and have started to do the same.

Yes yes yes... my exact thoughts

and there you go...awful 3.1.5 upgrade..
    some apps just get stuck at the loading screen
    Market stuck at loading.avi - YouTube

14. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    For the stuck market, all I did was clear data and reboot and my new market is working as fast as the old one and gives me more regular alerts on app updates. The old market could have me go for a week and then surprise me with 15 apps needing an update. The new one always alerts me for updates (at least 3), even if it updates me more than once a day.

15. AngelicCore

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
    That maybe true but as for the loading screen sadly it didn't go away with clearing the cache and data...though it doesn't happen with most apps...just some
    I am currently looking for a free app to freeze the market updater so i can go back to the older market till google releases the next one.
    Even more the new one doesn't allow more than one download at the same time, while the old one did :>

16. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The old one having more than one download at a time produced a bug on some phones, wherein if the connection was not stable, some phones would read the disconnect reconnect as a "re-download", and the notification would show downloading say, 24 apps, instead of only the 12 you wanted. Someone here asking for help had his reach to about 99(?) apps downloading. And that bug also consumes data. Which is why I think the one at a time is ok. Besides, it would work at about as fast anyway.

17. AngelicCore

None

Sep 4, 2011
    Cairo
  18. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Havent experienced any of those problems they mentioned, except probably for wifi part as I never use wifi.