1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Waze vs Google Maps: what's the difference? - Waze

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Rob, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you!
    Administrator Thread Starter

Mar 26, 2008
    Androiding
    Google owns Waze but it seems like the navigation runs different routes based on traffic conditions. Is this because they are using different algos to determine the fastest route or because Google/Waze split directions across multiple routes - even if one route is slightly longer - to help limit congestion so that overall drive time in aggregate is lower?

It's be really interesting to get an official response on this, and to know if the two apps share the same data and algos, but maybe this is already public knowledge that I've overlooked?

Advertisement

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    They are different apps. They do seem to have different algorithms. They also seem to have different map data. Waze is a crowd sourced app. Users provide input on maps. If there is a new street you know about, you can go into the editor and add the street if you have the right level of access. I don't have a lot of access, so often I have to submit corrections on the forums. Google gets its map data from a different source. I don't know exactly what it is.

I would think that since both mapping apps get their data from different sources, the algorithm may select different routes. The weight given to different routes may be part of the reason both mapping apps may offer different routes.

Google and Waze likely get their traffic data from different sources as well. Each will get traffic info from their users. The samples are slightly different, so the fastest route chosen by each app may also be different.

shalemail and stevealbright like this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    My favorite part of Waze is the social navigation aspect: drivers ahead of me report cops and hazards, and I can clear those reports if things change. It's like up to the minute road conditions! Traffic notification is nice, but knowing where the police are ahead of me is priceless!

Stuntman and shalemail like this.