• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WCDMA on three

blobber

Lurker
Apr 1, 2013
I want to upgrade my phone on three. The phone boasts WCDMA connectivity but no HSDPA software upgrade. Since phones in the UK for the most work with HSDPA I may not get it to work. Nice and cheap beast of a phone and the manufacturer assures it will work in the UK. I contacted three support. They are saying it will not work without HSDPA, So now I don't know. My current phone hit a dive so need one quicly :mad:I'll repost on general forum

Hi Blobber, that link doesn't work so if possible, please repost a working link to the phone.
Otherwise, WCDMA is the same as UMTS/3G. You could ask 3 again if it'd work with a 3G only phone but - correct me if I'm wrong - I reckon you should still be able to use 3's network with 3G instead of HSPA, your data connection will just be a bit slower.
It's a different provider but I often get a 3G signal with Orange, and I doubt 3 (who boast about having a good 3G signal) wouldn't have a 3G signal (HSPA is technically 3.5G)

Upvote 0
WCDMA 3G 2100Mhz DOES WORK ON THE THREE NETWORK IN THE UK.

I just bought my son a zgpax s8 phone watch. It supports WCDMA 3G 2100Mhz .
When I first put my THREE SIM card in it didn't work, But after turning on mobile data it now WORKS FINE.

When it didn't work at first I searched the web trying to find out if it was compatible, but there didn't seem to be a clear answer, so for all you non techies like me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I just bought my son a zgpax s8 phone watch. It supports WCDMA 3G 2100Mhz .
When I first put my THREE SIM card in it didn't work, But after turning on mobile data it now WORKS FINE.

When it didn't work at first I searched the web trying to find out if it was compatible, but there didn't seem to be a clear answer, so for all you non techies like me.

The phone watch also displayed the (H) sign next to the signal also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones