• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We all know the negatives, but besides the screen what does the Fascinate do better than the Droids?

Faster cpu and gpu, and the samsung is not locked down and much easier to root. The screen is the main thing, since Samsung makes the screen for others.. they saved the best for the Galaxy line!

Yea really, after using the screen, it made it difficult even to consider other phones. Even this whole Bing thing would have been a deal breaker, but after using the Epic, I have to give it a chance, the screen is just that good.

Upvote 0
For me, its the screen, size, and form that give it the edge over the DX. And from the videos and such, I like the look of the Samsung UI a little bit better than the DX's UI. But assuming everything works as intended, the DX, Dinc and the Fascinate are pretty much the same to me, except for the the screen quality, and the size and form of the device -- I like the Fascinate better.

Except the name -- Droid X sounds much cooler. I might start calling it the Galaxy. Sounds much better!

Upvote 0
I'm looking at these 3 phones and here's my impressions based on checking out the phones in a store and reading reviews and forum posts (I don't have any of these phones yet so take these w a grain of salt):

Speed: GPU speed is Fascinate>X>DINC with Fascinate holding a fairly commanding lead. CPU speed is the same order although it's a much tighter grouping in this area. However Sense UI on the DINC is pretty polished so many folks feel that the DINC is actually faster/smoother from a UI standpoint in daily use. Surfing the web or playing games... the Fascinate and the X beat the DINC.

Battery life: X>Fascinate>DINC. The X also has an extended battery that adds almost no bulk to the phone. The DINC can use TP2 batteries which are cheap and are 1500Mah instead of the stock 1350Mah battery. There are also extended batteries that come with a rather bulky (some say ugly) back cover. I haven't found much info on extended batteries for the fascinate yet.

Camera/Camcorder: I can't really get a good handle on this. It sounds like the X does not do very well in low light but it does have a slick panarama mode and is otherwise solid. The DINC appears to do pretty well as does the fascinate. The fascinate may do a bit better in low light then the other two. From what I've gathered the fascinate does better from a camcorder standpoint then the DINC and the X but the X does have a 3 mic setup that gives it an edge in sound quality.

Phone: Sounds like the X has very good signal reception and it has a 3 mic setup that gives it very good voice quality and noise cancellation. Downside is that the ringer, earpiece and speakerphone are too quiet (although the sound is good). DINC has good reception although the earpiece sound quality is just ok. Fascinate has ok reception, speakerphone/ringer and earpiece volume are all good.

Screens: The X has a higher resolution screen then either of the other two devices and it is considered to be very good for an lcd screen, especially for text. The DINC is the most pocketable and easiest to use with one hand due to it's size, it has very good contrast ratio, only real downside is that the screen isn't quite as good outdoors. The Fascinate has the best contrast ratio screen and holds up well outdoors. Very good screen for media. it's size gives the phone size a nice middle ground between the X and DINC.

Software: Sense is polished, fast and includes a number of nice looking and useful widgets and applications including leap, T9 dialer, weather widgets, clock widgets, good email client, etc.. TW is good, it includes a couple good widgets, includes a T9 dialer and a handy pulldown notification bar toolbar. Motoblur (not really motoblur) has a decent selection of widgets, many are resizable.

Issues:
-There are concerns about the GPS capabilities on the fascinate.
-The fascinate has bing loaded as the default search provider and it may be difficult to remove (I personally don't see this as a big deal but it seems to be a big issue for a lot of people)
-The X has problems maintaining a connection on an n wifi network, g is fine.
-The X email client has problems with some mail servers, motorola/verizon offers a free license to the touchdown email client (at least I think this is still available)
-The X is pretty tighly locked down, although there are reports that this has been bypassed.

Other: Froyo is available now for the DINC.

Upvote 0
Battery life: X>Fascinate>DINC. The X also has an extended battery that adds almost no bulk to the phone. The DINC can use TP2 batteries which are cheap and are 1500Mah instead of the stock 1350Mah battery. There are also extended batteries that come with a rather bulky (some say ugly) back cover. I haven't found much info on extended batteries for the fascinate yet.

When I ordered mine online yesterday, it gave me the option of a buying a 2200 mAh battery for $49. I didn't order it, 'cause I'll give the standard battery some time to see if I need a larger one. But its there.

Upvote 0
I still have the Epic, returning it today. I had the Droid X for a week. I have nothing bad to say about it except the screen. I saw one review say the Evo had a worse screen, I disagree. I think the EVO's screen was better. I also notice when reading things like this forum, if you double tab to have my post fill the page, the Epic was much better at adjusting to fit the screen. The Droid X was always a bit off and I'd have to readjust it.

I have the iPhone 3g. IT was great when I got it but my eye sight has took a dive since then. I wanted a large screen so I could read the text better. I found I could surprisingly read it better on the smaller 4'' Epic. Everything was bright and crisp without being harsh.

I also loaded up Amazon kindle to test reading books on a white background and I found the white background of the Droid x to be really harsh on my eyes. Plus the text didn't hold its contrast or sharpness depending on how you move the screen and to what angle.

However bad screens are a pet peeve of mine. I only buy IPS monitors because I can't stand TN panels. hehe.

I think Fascinate is the sweet spot. I found I didn't like the Evo because it was to wide. I liked the droid x better because it was longer instead of wider. The Galaxy S is just right. The screen side and long length of the Droid X gave you a really good size keyboard to play with. I do find it easier to type on the Droid X then I do the Epic on touch screen. But I'm finding I like Swype and this is no longer an issue.

I like how the EVO and Droid X feels to touch on the back. It has a soft touch feel. I will be looking for a case to give the Fascinate a feel like that.

Upvote 0
I still have the Epic, returning it today. I had the Droid X for a week. I have nothing bad to say about it except the screen. I saw one review say the Evo had a worse screen, I disagree. I think the EVO's screen was better. I also notice when reading things like this forum, if you double tab to have my post fill the page, the Epic was much better at adjusting to fit the screen. The Droid X was always a bit off and I'd have to readjust it.

I have the iPhone 3g. IT was great when I got it but my eye sight has took a dive since then. I wanted a large screen so I could read the text better. I found I could surprisingly read it better on the smaller 4'' Epic. Everything was bright and crisp without being harsh.

I also loaded up Amazon kindle to test reading books on a white background and I found the white background of the Droid x to be really harsh on my eyes. Plus the text didn't hold its contrast or sharpness depending on how you move the screen and to what angle.

However bad screens are a pet peeve of mine. I only buy IPS monitors because I can't stand TN panels. hehe.

I think Fascinate is the sweet spot. I found I didn't like the Evo because it was to wide. I liked the droid x better because it was longer instead of wider. The Galaxy S is just right. The screen side and long length of the Droid X gave you a really good size keyboard to play with. I do find it easier to type on the Droid X then I do the Epic on touch screen. But I'm finding I like Swype and this is no longer an issue.

I like how the EVO and Droid X feels to touch on the back. It has a soft touch feel. I will be looking for a case to give the Fascinate a feel like that.

Thanks for posting some real world experience w the screens. I'm in the same boat... my eye sight is not what it used to be.

I'm leaning toward the fascinate due to the nice size, decent battery life and the screen but the one issue for me is still the GPS. If the GPS turns out to be accurate and reliable enough to be used for in-car navigation I'll probably go with the fascinate. People are digging into the GPS issue with such a fine toothed comb that it's getting to the point that you can't see the forest for the trees. I just want to know if it's acceptable for everyday use.

Upvote 0
From what I've been reading it seems like the extended battery fits in perfectly on the phone, no extra buldge. Again I got this info off this forum but im about to dig deeper and see how accurate it is. Definitely considering the extended battery but i dont want any extra buldge in the back.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting some real world experience w the screens. I'm in the same boat... my eye sight is not what it used to be.

I'm leaning toward the fascinate due to the nice size, decent battery life and the screen but the one issue for me is still the GPS. If the GPS turns out to be accurate and reliable enough to be used for in-car navigation I'll probably go with the fascinate. People are digging into the GPS issue with such a fine toothed comb that it's getting to the point that you can't see the forest for the trees. I just want to know if it's acceptable for everyday use.

You're welcome. The eye thing was the most important to me and the Samsung is much easier on your eyes when reading pages of text. 180 degree viewing angles are nice, even on a 4'' screen.

I also found the sound, (like playing your music outloud) wasn't as good on the Droid X as it is on the Evo and the Epic. These two had better sound, at the same time, the Droid X and Evo sound better on phone calls but nothing that was deal breaking. I also have a terrible signal with the Epic so I don't know how much that plays into it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones