1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

We Are Being Spyed On!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Locoman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Locoman

Locoman Well-Known Member

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

I'm usually not one to put on the tinfoil hat, but it seems more than appropriate here. I'm rooted. Any instructions on how to remove this crap?

3. ganj_420

ganj_420 Well-Known Member

If you're rooted, it has most likely been disabled by the developer of whichever ROM you're using. I'm not sure our phones even came with this installed in the first place, but you can always PM the developer and ask if you're curious.

4. jandroid2011

jandroid2011 Lurker

I can't believe they log passwords!!! How can I find out if my HTC Incredible 2 has Carrier IQ installed?

5. This is some shady stuff. Not that I have anything to hide, but yeah, definitely leaves one feeling a little insecure.

6. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Android Expert

The article I read today stated that Verizon does not use Carrier IQ software on any of their phones, I will have to look for it and find the link, in the meantime I will read the article of the original post...

We dodged the bullet the last time with the massive security breach article exposing the hTC sense logger file.

Found it here...

http://www.slashgear.com/developer-...phone-app-logging-everything-you-do-30198935/

7. A.Nonymous

I just run stock rooted. I don't bother with ROMS.

8. Locoman

Download "AnyCut" from the market. Look for anything with"IQ" in it.

9. Apx

Apx Lurker

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

11. Locoman

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

Tons. But we have to cross each bridge as we get to it. ;)

13. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Android Expert

This Carrier IQ company must have a VERY large database/serverfarm to handle/process/store all this information coming from all the phones it is on.
    That is a astronomical amount of data.
    I work at an online shipping company and I know what we have to process all our info, I just can't imagine how big their processing network is!

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

That assumes that all of the data is sent. Even if the data is logged, I'd be surprised if all of it, or even close to all of it, is sent.

15. Eusibius2

Eusibius2 Well-Known Member

And you just outright believe them? LOL

No way - I won't believe that statement from Verizon until I've seen it proven by a 3rd party. CiQ stated they don't log anything, but it's been overly proven they do.

16. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert

I have been following threads on various forums about this topic (forums cellular related and not) and no one with a VZW phone has it on their phone.

That certainly gives significant credibility to their statement. And, VZW knows full well that if it's on there people will find it, so there's no chance they would make such a matter of fact statement regarding it if it weren't true.

Are they using somebody else's product to do the same thing? Maybe. Are they using CarrierIQ? No chance.

17. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

I wish Verizon would make this available to me so I could prove to them that their network sucks. They lost a tower in downtown Sisters, OR and it took me three trouble tickets over six weeks to get them to look at it.

18. A.Nonymous

There's an app you can run on your phone to check. I checked my DInc2. It found nothing for whatever that's worth.

19. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

20. Eusibius2

Eusibius2 Well-Known Member

There's a some truth to this too.. I've run TrevE's app a while back and it came back clean (assuming I ran it properly), but I'm also on a rooted CM7 Dinc with a few extra mods. Ok - I'm fairly certain MY device is clean, but that's not to say that I trust Verizon. That's not to say there's "no chance."

Only time will tell. I think the next few weeks will be quite interesting as this thing is blowing up rather quickly. In just the last hour, there were 10,000 downloads of Trev's app. Whoa... there's a lot of paranoia out there today!

I think today is the day I go into business selling tin hats for smartphones!

21. KrippyKreme

KrippyKreme Android Enthusiast

22. Rico ANDROID

Rico ANDROID Android Expert

HTC Droid Incredible 2 Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible 2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews