• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We can't have "green" in our systems but we can be alcoholics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The affects are in the hands of the user.

Maybe if they made sex illegal, less people would be injured by golf clubs.

Say whaaaaaat? lol

Anyways, I think that legalizing pot like how they're trying to do it where I'm from, California, will cause major legal issues with other states because it'll be so simple to just buy it in California and then transport it to the other 47 mainland states. I personally think that marijuana should be legalized because it is less or equally as harmful as what alcohol and smoking already can do, but I also think that it shouldn't be legalized for the sake of legal issues that California doesn't need right now.

Upvote 0
Alcohol is SO ingrained in our culture it would be hard to limits on it. If we wiped the slate clean and started again with alcohol, it may have been made illegal.

Also, alcohol and pot are different. Pot affects your mind, and it can do so permanently. Smoking pot, you risk developing schizophrenia or paranoia (depending on your genes, mainly), you don't risk those kinds of problems with alcohol.

However, I agree that if certain drugs were made legal, they would be safer. But can you imagine? Think of all the alcoholics we currently have. Then add on all the drug addicts we could have.

Upvote 0
Pot affects your mind, and it can do so permanently. Smoking pot, you risk developing schizophrenia or paranoia (depending on your genes, mainly), you don't risk those kinds of problems with alcohol.

reefer_madness.jpg

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Your argument is horrible.

First, don't try to gain sympathy for a cause dealing with drugs such as weed, and then look down on other drugs like heroine or coke.

You want us to give you sympathy but, you look down on other drugs, it is disgusting.

Second, if coke and heroine were legal they would not cause as many problems as they do.

If you remember prohibition, alcohol was illegal and *MORE* people did it. The problem escalated, crime escalated and it was horrible.

If heroine was legalized, it would be far safer than even alcohol.

Right now, heroine ruins lives for the following reasons.

A. Addicts are looked down upon.
B. Drugs are more expensive because, they are illegal.
C. There is no standard for purity, you can't tell how much what has been cut and re cut.

Right now because heroine is illegal, there is very low supply meaning prices are way higher than they would ever be if it was legal. If it was legalized, companies could sell heroine legally which means companies are going to compete. Competition drives down prices.

If heroine was affordable people would not go bankrupt paying for it and could lead normal lives. They would not have to worry about lapsing into withdrawl because they can't afford it, or when and where to get their next hit.

You would be surprised how much time is spent just trying to make sure you have enough to prevent withdrawls.

Next, Everyone has an addiction, most are legal. Some people are addicted to video games, others are addicted to work. People literaly ruin their lives with legal addictions. Most people however, balance life out just fine.

However, no don't get on a soap box for your cause and your cause alone. If you want to get on a soap box, you can't complain about being judged, and then judge other people. That is not the way to go about it.

Alcohol was illegal at one point in time too. Look at how that ended. Crime escalated exponentially.

The one difference between illegal drugs now and alcohol, is enough people did alcohol so it became legal again.

If we really want to stop the illegal drug trade, only option is to legalize it.

Think about *how* much money is wasted on swat teams/paramilitary forces.

Honestly we go on about how free speech is our most basic right.

I disagree, Control over our bodies is the most basic right.

I should have the ability to ingest whatever I want but, legally I don't have the rights to my own body anymore :/.

And don't give me any line of crap about how people "endanger others" on drugs. Alcohol brings out more raw emotions than any other drug out there. People are more dangerous on alcohol than heroine.(assuming the same conditions). And alcohol is legal. If people endanger others, handle it on a case by case basis don't make all drugs illegal.

Final note. Drug dealers want drugs to be illegal. As long as drugs are illegal, there is a very low supply and a very high demand. So they can charge whatever they want.

Should we really vote with the drug dealers?

If people can live respectable lives on alcohol, there is no reason anyone should be judged for any other drug they do.

I'm tired of how our entire mind set is to descriminate against "drug addicts" alcohol IS a drug. But, we call them "alcoholics" not "addicts".
I stopped reading this long post full of bullshit when I read "If heroine was legalized, it would be far safer than even alcohol." What kind of bullshit is that? Heroin is a drug that is highly addictive and ****s with you. People I know have had their lives ruined because of Heroin. You sound so ignorant its not even funny.

Weed is in all honesty a lot better than alcohol. If you compare the deathrates while driving stoned to driving drunk. There is no competition.
Also:
comparing-dangers.png

At least do your research before you bash this kid like a ******. Weed is nowhere near the same level as Crack or Heroin.

Upvote 0
He's saying your comment about Pot affecting your mind is BS. Alot of stuff the govenment has told you about it is wrong and pure propaganda.
A lot of stuff Pro-Weed campaigners tell you is wrong and pure propaganda.

And I don't draw my argument purely from research I've done. I KNOW people that have had these effects. It can **** you up.

Upvote 0
A lot of stuff Pro-Weed campaigners tell you is wrong and pure propaganda.

And I don't draw my argument purely from research I've done. I KNOW people that have had these effects. It can **** you up.

Just because you know some people that are ****ed in the head, that just happen to smoke weed, doesn't mean the weed did it to them. I know many people who smoke multiple times daily, that have no adverse effects on their mental health.

Reactions: tommy_ed
Upvote 0
Pot affects your mind, and it can do so permanently. Smoking pot, you risk developing schizophrenia or paranoia (depending on your genes, mainly), you don't risk those kinds of problems with alcohol.

And you're speaking to me like I'm an idiot because I don't support something you do. Which is ridiculous, because I have done my research.

And you are assuming a lot in your post about the people who experienced these problems. When you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Upvote 0
I stopped reading this long post full of bullshit when I read "If heroine was legalized, it would be far safer than even alcohol." What kind of bullshit is that? Heroin is a drug that is highly addictive and ****s with you. People I know have had their lives ruined because of Heroin. You sound so ignorant its not even funny.

Weed is in all honesty a lot better than alcohol. If you compare the deathrates while driving stoned to driving drunk. There is no competition.
Also:
comparing-dangers.png

At least do your research before you bash this kid like a ******. Weed is nowhere near the same level as Crack or Heroin.

Thank you
I just gave up because it was a pointless argument.

Here is some NIH info on brain damage and alcohol usage:
ALCOHOL'S DAMAGING EFFECTS ON THE BRAIN

Regarding your schitzo comment - yes it's possible, but it's worse for alcohol:
Epidemiological analysis of alcohol and drug use a... [J Nerv Ment Dis. 1990] - PubMed result
"...risk of onset of psychotic experiences for daily users of marijuana was double that for nonusers. Alcohol disorder in men was associated with eightfold risk and in women with threefold risk".

So I would say that alcohol is worse.

Upvote 0
And you're speaking to me like I'm an idiot because I don't support something you do. Which is ridiculous, because I have done my research.

And you are assuming a lot in your post about the people who experienced these problems. When you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

And you make an ass out of yourself by assuming that alcohol does not cause psychological issues - which is what you basically said.

See my last post and journal article and then bite your tongue before attacking someone else.

Upvote 0
God I love hypocrisy.

I absolutely love, how people can taut "oh you have been brain washed by D.A.R.E. and the government" one minute, and turn around and completely bash something else.

First, I am not arguing heroine is addictive, not at all.

However, you are a moron if you really believe that there aren't legal things just as addictive.

Guess what? if alcohol was illegal, you would see people ruining their lives in the same manner as heroine. The only difference is, alcohol can legally ruin your life and sadly there is less stigma just because it is illegal.

I am not arguing heroine wouldn't be addictive if it were legal.

I am arguing it would be affordable and not contain 90% rat poison :/

Sure we would have heroine addicts just like we would have alcohol addicts.. At least if someone over dosed on heroine with it legal, they could go to a hospital and get help without worrying about being treated like total crap or arrested and thrown in jail :/.

My argument isn't that drugs aren't harmful or addictive, my argument is that drugs being illegal makes them more harmful and accomplishes nothing.

However, I am so tired of people only wanting sympathy for their cause. What it really boils down to is people want *their* drug legal. They want *their* drug of choice to be looked upon as "favorable"

I don't do heroine/coke/anything. I don't even drink. However, I love how people can admit to reading one single line, and instantly turning off logic in their brain.

Oh well. Like I said before.. Keep voting *with* drug dealers. I'm sure they will be quite happy they can continue to charge whatever they want.

*EDIT*

ALso while I'm thinking about it my point has never been (and I'm repeating this again) that heroine is less addictive or harmful than pot.

My point has always been you can not taut how pot is "less dangerous than alcohol"

And then deny heroine or cocaine the same benefits. You can compare heroine or cocaine to alcohol. Only difference is legality.

But, whatever continue to not read.. its not like anyone really cares about anything besides their own drug of choice.

Upvote 0
Come on, be truly Libertarian, legalize all drugs. Take the drugs out of the hands of the criminal element. We can't continue to spend billions of dollars to stop people from doing something they don't want to stop.

Prohibition against alchohol didn't work and it want work work against drugs either.

Upvote 0
What it comes down to for me is that government has no place to tell you what you can & can't do with your body, whether you want to drink alcohol, smoke weed, shoot heroin or shoot yourself in the head, that's your RIGHT to do so. I don't support gambling, drug or prostitution laws. Basically, I don't believe in "crimes" without victims. The government should only make laws to protect people from direct and involuntary harm and to protect their rights from being infringed on. When it comes to individual rights I 100% agree with Libertarians.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones