• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We need a new update for g1

BEDROCK69

Lurker
Jan 20, 2011
We need to get a new update for our g1's im tired of 1.6 every other phone is up to date and with a better version of andriod but they just left g1 with 1.6 and forgot all about it. They prolly just stopped messing with it because they think its not a good phone but i love my g1 and the only thing we need is an update so lets hope they come out with at least a version of andriod 2.0 or something good our phones is getting slow.

At this point I doubt that's ever going to happen officially. I suggest you look into rooting and flashing a custom ROM like CyanogenMod. My myTouch Slide is just over 7 months old and I have doubts that I'll ever see an official 2.2 update for it. Your phone is over 2 years old... The good news is the G1 was very popular and is running vanilla Android. The modding community can definitely get you what you're looking for.

Upvote 0
We need to get a new update for our g1's im tired of 1.6 every other phone is up to date and with a better version of andriod but they just left g1 with 1.6 and forgot all about it. They prolly just stopped messing with it because they think its not a good phone but i love my g1 and the only thing we need is an update so lets hope they come out with at least a version of andriod 2.0 or something good our phones is getting slow.

G1 is done, officially. You need to hit XDA. I just had BeatMod Gingerbread android 2.3.3 up & running on my G1. Really ran good.
You definitely need to root & flash what you want.

Upvote 0
Hey, before anyone decides to root or mod their G1, it seems from reading that a LOT of these end up bricked. Chances are if you try it yourself and it's your first time, you'll end up with an HTC paperweight. At least that's the conclusion I came to after reading a lot of threads on doing it.

Also, I was under the impression that the G1 didn't have enough processing power to try to deal with the 2.x OS ?

Upvote 0
Hey, before anyone decides to root or mod their G1, it seems from reading that a LOT of these end up bricked. Chances are if you try it yourself and it's your first time, you'll end up with an HTC paperweight. At least that's the conclusion I came to after reading a lot of threads on doing it.

Also, I was under the impression that the G1 didn't have enough processing power to try to deal with the 2.x OS ?

Not true. Read everything twice, pay attention to what you read, and follow the guides step by step. Guides are much easier these days. I've never once screwed up my phone, and I didn't know a thing about flashing 3 years ago. If your that paranoid about bricking it, don't. Your not ready.

I've tried almost all the roms for the G1, some worked very well, some didn't. Amazing what some of the dev's do with this old, original Android.
Running a Donut Rom, overclocked to stay at 528mhz, because of the speed, as my daily runner. But I have 5 other various roms on my SD card that I can flash in 5-10 minutes. It's nice to have options.
G1 might be on the lower end of the scale when it comes to processing power but it runs great for me. Over 100 apps installed, to SD, out of 89MB internal storage, 72MB free. No big fan of overclocking past rated capacity but there's that option if you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones