1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

We need a sub forum for rooting, etc

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zandroid, Feb 4, 2010.

?

Should there be a sub-forum for Rooting, Roming, etc?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    97.1%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. zandroid

zandroid Android Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2009
    Student
    Los Angeles
    I visit this forum daily and while it's great to see new threads on rooting, roming, and the like I feel it deserves its' own section. It seems to be over crowding the general Droid forums.

Anyone else agree? Mods?

Added a poll.

Advertisement

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    30 Helens agree

3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Very much agreed. I do like how another android site sets it up with development, and orders it by the ROM developer. The Droid sub forum seems to be the hottest place on this site, so a little more subdivisions could help. (plus it's most of what I read anyway :D)

4. andrew53517

andrew53517 Android Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
  5. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Frankly, I wish androidforums would ban all posts regarding rooting, o/c'ing, and the like. There are plenty of other forums where that is ALL they talk about, 24/7. I consider this forum to be different, more of a user's forum. Perhaps, more app-centric and for solving everyday problems.

But that's just me. If there were a rooting sub-forum, then I wouldn't have to see all that crap cluttering up the DROID forum.

6. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with Joe. There's plenty of other forums out there for hacking and modding. It disheartens me to come here and see it has become another forum about hacking and not so much about the Droid itself. If we had a subforum for mods and such that would be fine but I really don't see anything different here regarding mods that aren't at other forums.

7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    I dont think a subforum would hurt but all the talk of rooting I think is good it gets more people interested in it. So I guess not all 30 Helens agree!

8. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
  9. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Another thing to consider is the fact that this forum is a little tighter in general regarding posting links to hacks, cracks, and what-not. With that in mind, a subforum for rooting probably won't fly anyway. Just sayin...

10. itsaddison

itsaddison Member

Oct 23, 2009
    I agree 100% with this idea. I'm personally not willing to hack my Droid. That makes more than 50% of this otherwise great forum, useless to me. It doesn't bother me all that much. I can skip over it. But a sub-forum does seem to make sense.

If staff doesn't allow free discussion of the subject matter though, I don't even know why people discuss it here. Why does staff censor that anyway? Are they in bed with Google? I just don't see why they would care...

11. why wouldn't they want to make a sub forum about it? if they just say "there's other forums for that" then they're just losing money...i mean this website probably does bring in at least a little cash to whoever runs it so why not try and get more people to want to use this instead of going somewhere else

12. Brettus

Brettus Member

Nov 11, 2009
    +1, although I couldn't care less about rooting, it seems to be a popular topic and would certainly warrant it's own subforum. If nothing else, as others have suggested, it would reduce clutter and provide intuitive places for the different information.

13. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Those who can't do?
    Oklahoma
    +1 for the less clutter organizational benefit to the forms.

14. shrink57

shrink57 Android Expert

Dec 19, 2009
    South Florida
    A big thumbs up here.

15. Branndon

Branndon Android Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009
    Website Developer
    Orange County, CA
    "If there were a rooting sub-forum, then I wouldn't have to see all that crap cluttering up the DROID forum."

+1 It needs it's own place here.

16. drgonzo

drgonzo Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I support the sub-forum plan.

17. Gunner

Gunner Android Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2009
    +1000

It's definitely needed. Would clean things up immensely.

18. Kirch21

Kirch21 Android Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2009
  19. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    A rooting forum would be pointless. We wouldn't be able to post any ROM's that have ANY closed source apps like all the Google/Milestone ones. I will make a sticky post if someone (like you joe!) makes a fool proof guide for rooting, but there most likely will not be a sub forum for it. And about the $$$, they make plenty already, deals with Verizon and some other companies. They would actually lose $$$ by allowing ROM's and closed source APK's because the advertisers would pull out.

The "other" site we all use for rooting and stuff uses Google Ads, here we use direct ads from companies so that requires them to be a tad bit more strict.

20. vincentp

vincentp Android Expert

Nov 11, 2009
    Mortgage Underwriter
    Rochester, NY
    A good majority of the posts recently have been root related anyways. If we added a root forum the main forum might become desolate.

21. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    I am talking to Phases to see what can be done, don't get any hopes up though as even if we get a sub forum for rooting, it will not contain any ROM's (or links to them) that contain Google/Milestone apk's as they are all closed source. All current ROM's contain them. Rooting we can discuss and link too, same with SPRecovery, maybe even a few other things like overclocking kernels.