• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root We Need Testers!

How to get Google Now on ICS - YouTube this kind of works...the google now definitely does, but you have to use root browser lite and go in to the system/app folder and rename googlequicksearchbox.apk to googlequicksearchbox.apk1 before you install the velvet-theos0o-5.apk, but you do not have to make any of the apk's system apps, i did and it made the voice search not work, i am going to remove it as a system app right now actually

Yeah, from what I've seen during my Google searches, it seems like that's an older method... So while I'll keep looking for a good and working method, I'm also hopeful that we get a custom recovery going on this thing, just in case.

Reactions: superboy4444
Upvote 0
How to get Google Now on ICS - YouTube this kind of works...the google now definitely does, but you have to use root browser lite and go in to the system/app folder and rename googlequicksearchbox.apk to googlequicksearchbox.apk1 before you install the velvet-theos0o-5.apk, but you do not have to make any of the apk's system apps, i did and it made the voice search not work, i am going to remove it as a system app right now actually

also, by making a system app, it made my device compatible with google now and it will update via the play store!

nevermind, will download update from play store, but needs sdk update to install...

Upvote 0
It seems impossible to back up the recovery for some reason, every method i've tried results in either "no recovery partition found" or just skips over the recovery when backing up everything.

Then again, I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Upvote 0
It seems impossible to back up the recovery for some reason, every method i've tried results in either "no recovery partition found" or just skips over the recovery when backing up everything.

Then again, I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Just tell me where the recovery file is

Upvote 0
I successfully backed up recovery.img!

I booted into stock recovery and got this log when I checked the cache.

[collecting table information]
recovery filesystem table
=========================
0 '/tmp' 'ramdisk' '(null)' '(null)' 0
1 '/boot' 'emmc' '/dev/block/mmcblk0p8' '(null)' 0
2 '/system' 'ext4' '/dev/block/mmcblk0p17' '(null)' 0
3 '/data' 'ext4' '/dev/block/mmcblk0p19' '(null)' -16384
4 '/cache' 'ext4' '/dev/block/mmcblk0p18' '(null)' 0
5 '/recovery' 'emmc' '/dev/block/mmcblk0p15' '(null)' 0
6 '/sdcard' 'vfat' '/dev/block/mmcblk1p1' '/dev/block/mmcblk1' 0
7 '/efs' 'ext4' '/dev/block/mmcblk0p14' '(null)' 0
8 '/modem' 'emmc' '/dev/block/mmcblk0p6' '(null)' 0
9 '/modem_bkp' 'emmc' '/dev/block/mmcblk0p21' '(null)' 0

So I went into terminal and inputted

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/sdcard/recovery.img

And lo and behold, there's the recovery image! You can download it here:
http://www.2shared.com/file/zjJwdiDa/recovery.html

I've inputted it into the cyanogen link posted above and got this outputted:
http://jenkins.cyanogenmod.com/job/recovery/11781/

Haven't tested it, and I don't want to brick my phone as I'm going to need it for the next week pretty dearly. So if somebody wants to attempt that, good luck!

Upvote 0
If anyone can join me tomorrow i can walk you through it. Basically were gonna use dd to copy the recovery and boot partitions bit by bit onto the memory card, give them to me and i can most likely have the recovery made in a few minutes s for testing. I already have the device tree set up.

I have both recovery.img and boot.img from the process above, here they are in a zip.

bootrecovery.zip download - 2shared

Upvote 0
I have both recovery.img and boot.img from the process above, here they are in a zip.

bootrecovery.zip download - 2shared

I decided to also pull them to compare them to yours. Here's what I did in terminal:

cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 > /sdcard/boot1.img
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p15 > /sdcard/recovery1.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/sdcard/recovery2.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/boot2.img

I did two of each just to see if the pull method affects the image itself. My results were that both of my recovery images were identical to your recovery image. However, while both of my boot images were identical to each other, they weren't identical to your boot image. Have you updated your phone?

Upvote 0
I decided to also pull them to compare them to yours. Here's what I did in terminal:

I did two of each just to see if the pull method affects the image itself. My results were that both of my recovery images were identical to your recovery image. However, while both of my boot images were identical to each other, they weren't identical to your boot image. Have you updated your phone?

I have not. There was an update that I can't download because I removed a stock apk. That would explain it.

Speaking of which, if anyone has the Google books stock apk I could really use it.

Upvote 0

Host them or dropbox...let's have them files!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones