• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weak audio output from N4 audio jack

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
This has depressed me (as much as a device can at any rate), but the N4 has the weakest audio output of any device I have tested. I tested two N4s and same result. The audio output is WEAK from the jack and that is with 16ohm buds (Klipsch). I turned up to 13 (90%) and boosted the EQ to help out. 100% exhibited slight distortion that is indicative of weak output.

Folks can forget using higher ohm headphones IF there is no way to increase the gain and volume, or even using 16ohm on a subway. I am stunned since find the S4 and N3 not exactly loud, but passable. N4 output is weak compared to them. I became concerned when GSMarena reported half the output of the iPhone and one third less than the G3.

Sad too, since the audio features and sound quality are nice- if listening in bed or a library. More sad IMO that GSMarena did not test headphone output when noticed such a huge output difference.

I am hoping Poweramp can access the gain and volume and hardware level to override this apparent travesty of weak volume. Stock app IMO is mainly useless for headphones due to the volume.

The sad thing is the output was weak with 16 ohm buds, which is essentially the lowest ohm buds there is. People are in for a shock if expecting to power anything above that. Truly epic fail IMO and ditto for reviews not pointing it out.

Perhaps the apparent 10/23 date is for the better now, since time to see if the volume can be increased with an app or through root. Frankly I am bummed now since this makes no sense.

The main thing that sucks is the Samsung stock music app is actually very nice, but little good with the weak a$$ output.

Upvote 0
No way to spin it. Reviews that actually measure the output point out the weak output and I heard it myself. I need to now test and see if Poweramp can override the low volume setting. Some devices it will, some it will not.

The iPod 5, iPhones, M8, G3, S4 and N3 all have better output. Samsung appears to have got some serious stupid with the audio output on the N4.

The app though is one of the best I have used and even has a vacuum tube setting to emulate the warmth of analog. It actually does a decent digital emulation of the warmth tube amplification has. Note to audiophiles, I KNOW that is a sacrilege to say, but just pointing out the warmth is there. Still digital- I get that ;)

What I do NOT get is the weak output that renders the great stock app WORTHLESS for wired headphone use. I do not use bluetooth headphones. Too many very good wired headphones on hand that work very well.

Upvote 0
18 ohm was of course lower and to the point that even 100% volume is inadequate. My guess is people with Beats or other high ohm headphones are going to be trying to figure why the volume will not go up. It can't!

Somebody with Poweramp please test if the volume can be increased over the stock option. The BB devices did not have the Play market open so could not test myself.

Upvote 0
18 ohm was of course lower and to the point that even 100% volume is inadequate. My guess is people with Beats or other high ohm headphones are going to be trying to figure why the volume will not go up. It can't!

Somebody with Poweramp please test if the volume can be increased over the stock option. The BB devices did not have the Play market open so could not test myself.

I've tested the Note 4 Audio at Best Buy it's quite loud I do not know where you got the information where it's not loud. I've tested with Youtube player it was loud.... it was half way I think.....

Upvote 0
I've tested the Note 4 Audio at Best Buy it's quite loud I do not know where you got the information where it's not loud. I've tested with Youtube player it was loud.... it was half way I think.....

Phonearena has a chart listing the output as half the iPhone and one third less than the G3. I tested the music app as noted above on the black and white versions. I kept thinking it was GSMarena.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Review - Camera and Multimedia

Upvote 0
Could it be that there are two different issues when it comes to audio output:

(1) how loud is the audio coming from the phone's SPEAKER, vs.

(2) how loud is the audio coming from the earphone JACK?

Could it be the audio from the speaker is OK whereas the output from the jack is weak? (And if so, where does that leave audio one accesses via Bluetooth?)

-Steve H.

Upvote 0
Before preordering the Note 4 I also got a hands on at BB and even played with the audio on youtube. Halfway up the volume without headphones was loud and crisp. I didn't test with headphones but as long as I don't get that annoying warning sign, " listening above this level may cause hearing problems." Or whatever it says on my GS4

Upvote 0
Nothing has been implied about the speaker. It is Marshall amp loud compared to the audio jack output for headphones.

Added: I get the impression some folks do not appreciate there is a physical audio line difference between the audio jack and speaker. These are not linked in series, but in parallel to the chipset audio out line.

Upvote 0
Nothing has been implied about the speaker. It is Marshall amp loud compared to the audio jack output for headphones.

Added: I get the impression some folks do not appreciate there is a physical audio line difference between the audio jack and speaker. These are not linked in series, but in parallel to the chipset audio out line.

Thank you.
This isn't about youtube volume in best buy, this is about drowning out a squalling kid on a flight from LA to Atlanta. Lol

Hopefully someone will try power amp and post some results before the verizon phones show up.

Upvote 0
The sound output is LOW using the stock app and reviews have pointed out the low volume output. It is literally 60% lower than iPhone as an example. The S4 has low output too, but not this low.

I retested devices at BB and audio impression has not changed. The stock app is low with 16 ohm and low to the point of being worthless with higher ohm buds.

Poweramp though improved the output with gain and volume increase options. Sound quality is very good. The stock app IMO is worthless unless in a very quiet place. I would say also with noise cancellation phones too, but they usually have higher that 16 ohm impedance.

Either you all have bionic ears, or tried Note 4s that were different from what I tested and what Phonearena and others tested. Stock app = low output.

Audio fans would be best served getting Poweramp IMO.

Reactions: astaris
Upvote 0
I just tested with my new Note 4 with a pair of sub $10 ear buds. When you turn the volume up with both the default app and Play Music the volume seems normal. I see the volume indicator changes color as you increase the volume (at what looks like 65%, give/take). When you hit the color change you are presented the general warning.

This sucker is loud and crystal clear. I turned it up to about 80% and had to back it off because it is simply too loud. The sound quality did not change at the higher volume.

I talked to the Samsung rep that was at the Best Buy today and he told me the display units are not exactly the same as what they are selling...at least at the store I was at. The carrier software was all removed and there was no visible indication of a carrier either on the phones or in the Settings.

Upvote 0
I just tested with my new Note 4 with a pair of sub $10 ear buds. When you turn the volume up with both the default app and Play Music the volume seems normal. I see the volume indicator changes color as you increase the volume (at what looks like 65%, give/take). When you hit the color change you are presented the general warning.

This sucker is loud and crystal clear. I turned it up to about 80% and had to back it off because it is simply too loud. The sound quality did not change at the higher volume.

I talked to the Samsung rep that was at the Best Buy today and he told me the display units are not exactly the same as what they are selling...at least at the store I was at. The carrier software was all removed and there was no visible indication of a carrier either on the phones or in the Settings.

Agreed. Sorry op but your being way too picky. I have had my device for two days now and listen to music off the speaker and headphone jack. Sounds fine to me. Sound doesn't distort after taking it past the halfway mark. Maybe op needs to buy a boombox

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones