• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weak WIFI signal

I am sitting in the room where my router is and I have full strength wifi signal on my phone. If I go right across the hall to my other room it drops down to 3 bars. If I go to my basement it drops to 1 bar. Now here is the thing. I have a wireless network with an extender in my house. So technically I should have full strength on the phone everywhere in the house but I don't. My PS3 and AppleTV and Wii are all in the basement and my router is 2 floors up and they all have full strength signals thanks to my Apple Airport extender. Not sure why I am getting mixed results on the Droid.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. Most of the time the signal is one or two bars. I stood a foot away from the router and it never went to full strength. I have two wireless routers. The Droid has the same problem on both. I reboot the Droid and it was a little better, I finally got a "Full" strength a foot away, but as I walked away it's dropped immediately.
Does anybody know if there is a firmware update or something available to fix this issue?

Upvote 0
I had an older Linksys router with a booster, on both my Droid and iPod Touch sig strength was low, while on my laptop it was higher. I replaced the router with a "new" DLink (maybe $75 BestBuy) and sig on the Droid and iPod Touch went up to full as well as my laptop. Technically (specs) my older Router isnt much different then the new one but in actual usage the newer on is 10X's better.

Upvote 0
I am havine problems with weak signal and dropping connection constantly. I picked up my wife's droid to see if it was doing the same thing. Her phone not only has a stronger WiFi signal but the phone signal is stronger also. Then to top things off my droid just started to end calls and the dialer stopped working. So, I couldn't even call back untill I took the battery out of the phone to reset it. Today I take my Droid back to see if Verizon will live up to the 30 day satisfaction guarentee. Hopefully my next Droid will be better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones