1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Weak Wifi signal

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by UncleMike, Dec 30, 2011.

1. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I bought my son a used Droid X a few weeks ago, and it consistently has trouble staying connected to our home Wifi. After looking into the issue with Wifi Analyzer, I found that the reported signal strength is on average 30 dB lower than on my Bionic, with both phones sitting next to each other on a table about 8 feet from the nearest WAP.

Here's a picture of the two, side-by-side.

[​IMG]

The Droid X is running the latest stock firmware and is not rooted.

Any suggestions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

if i remember correctly my DX was stubborn with my home wifi when i first got it. Is your wireless router an N router? If so set it to G only and see what happens. Also before you do that you could try changing channels on your output of your router. Try channels 1, 6, or 11.

3. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I have a wireless router (FiOS) on channel 6, and one WAP each on channels 1 (Linksys) & 11 (Belkin). All three are b/g only. I don't have access to the Droid X right now, but I'll try to change channels and see if that makes a difference.

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

so do you get the same results no matter which WAP your signed on to?

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

Just a follow-up... the problem appears to have been caused by using the extended battery with the stock battery cover - causing pressure on the internals of the phone. After changing to the extended battery cover I have a strong and reliable Wifi signal.

6. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

Why are the phones showing PromisedLAN as two different WiFi channels?

7. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

8. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I have two AP with that name - one on channel 1 (first floor) and one on channel 11 (second floor). The intent was to allow devices to change to the stronger signal as their current signal got weaker, but apparently Android doesn't do that.

9. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I did come across threads like that when trying to troubleshoot my problem. At that time, signal strength was the issue that trumped all other possible issues. Now that the signal strength issue is resolved, I'm going to keep an eye on connectivity.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews