• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CrackedLCD

Jan 17, 2013
LA (Lower Alabama)
goo.gl
Has anyone noticed how weak the wifi reception seems to be on the Turbo?

I set up my home network using my Droid DNA as a "reference device", using Wifi Analyzer and was happy with the performance. I have a dual high gain 2.4 GHz antenna setup on my main DSL modem/router combo box that, with the DNA, gave me a minimum of -79 dBm (showing at least three bars on the phone's wifi icon) across my entire single story home, as well as roughly -70 dBm in my relative's home next door. With careful tweaking I was able to get a usable signal all over the adjoining house, even in the farest reaches of that home. Both homes are wood frame with brick exterior, so the signal is passing through a minimum of two brick walls in that direction.

Since upgrading to the Turbo, I've found it struggles to even remain connected in places the DNA had two or three bars. The Turbo seems to be a good 20 dB down on the DNA. For example, next door in that home's living room the DNA showed -69 dBm from my measurement point, but the Turbo showed -89 dBm. The DNA will remain connected to the 2.4 GHz network with no problem moving anywhere in our (combined) property, indoors or out; the Turbo loses the connection even with 50 feet of the router sometimes.

As anyone who's set up a wifi network knows, the stronger the signal, the better the throughput for the most part. The Turbo is definitely struggling to maintain a solid connection in places where the DNA (and some other devices like a Moto Razr HD and Apple iPhones) seem to have few issues.

Is there any hope this could be improved, or is it a design issue I have to learn to live with? I could add two repeaters to the fringes of the network but that's really more of a band-aid for me since other phones and devices don't seem to have any issues with the signal strength of my setup. It would also unnecessarily clog up an already crowded 2.4 GHz wifi band. I've picked the best channel with the least amount of interference/overlap from neighboring broadcasts, and I want to keep my footprint as clean as possible.

I won't even delve deep into how bad the 5 GHz performance is… There are places in this same house where the DNA shows 5 bars (-79 dBm or better) on a separately-placed 5 GHz only router, while the Turbo has just one teeny little bar (-90 dBm or worse) whilst saying "avoiding weak connection", meaning it doesn't work at all.

Use dlink or Cisco router of 3.5 Ghz it will be useful and see whether u r internet speed is more because if speed plan is low then receiver will also give slow speed

Two things. I've never seen a consumer 3 GHz router. Are you referring to 805.11y at 3.6 GHz?

Second, I don't think any phones support that band. Only 2.4 & 5.0 GHz. At least in the US.

My plan speed is the same it's always been and that has nothing to do with received signal strength on the phones themselves, anyway. Throughput on both phones are the same when they're receiving equally strong signals.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones