• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wear OS 3.0

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Get ready for the biggest update in Wear OS... ever!

Wear OS 2.5 was a massive upgrade from the old Android Wear platform, but still limited in capability. Google knew that, unless they did something dramatic, the platform would wither away. They partnered with Samsung to bring the best of Tizen, and the best of Wear OS, to a new unified platform: Wear OS 3.0.

Here is a quick rundown of all the new features expected:

https://www.wareable.com/android-wear/google-samsung-join-forces-for-massive-wear-os-update-8426

As an aficionado of the Black Metal HD watchface, I contacted the developer, DeNitE Appz, to ask if it was going to be available on Wear OS 3. The developer responded that ALL their watchfaces are compatible with Wear OS 3 right now... so if you enjoy their watchfaces now, they are ready to serve you well with the new OS.

:)

Upvote 0
    I powered down my Montblanc Summit 2 running Wear OS 2.6; then started setup of the Mobvoi TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra. I opened the Wear OS app on my Z Fold 3 and, in the upper left, selected "Connect a new watch". Powered on the watch, in under five minutes the watch was set up, accounts copied over.

EDIT: It has taken awhile, as expected, to get everything sort-of the way I want it. There are two things that concern me, however:
    (a) Wear OS version is still 2.37 with security patch from October 2021. I'm sure once things stabilize, I'll get an update notification; and
    (b) Mobvoi is headquartered in Beijing, China and I'm not at all thrilled with funding the Chinese government or potentially compromising my information. I would much prefer an equivalent watch from a country that is more allied with my own.

I have several weeks to return the watch... so I'm weighing my options closely.

Last edited:
    Reactions: olbriar
    Upvote 0
    Wear OS 3 isn't even out yet - scheduled to roll out in H2 2022 (here we are) but no one knows when...
    Yeah I thought it was still exclusively available on the Galaxy Watch 4 but wasn't sure if you had seen something to indicate otherwise. Hopefully it will show up on a bunch of nice Fossil Group watches soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones