• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wear OS app to send SMS with single tap

aparkin

Dec 21, 2016
I got tired of opening my phone every day and typing out a message to let my wife know that I was leaving work, so I decided to make an app where I could automatically send her an SMS message saying I was leaving (and include the current time) with a single tap on either my Wear OS watch or the phone itself.

Previously I just hard-coded her phone number into the app but I thought others might find this useful, so I've updated the app so you can configure the phone number, and made the APK available. Only a single phone number can be configured as the point of the app is to send a message with a single tap. When the app is launched it sends the pre-configured number an SMS with the text "I'm leaving now, it's HH:MM on dd/MMM/yyyy" (with the time and date filled in automatically).

If anyone is interested in trying the app it can be found at http://www.apdroid.byethost5.com/imleavingnow/imleavingnow.html along with some instructions on how to set it up.

(the Wear OS app should install automatically on your watch but if not the separate APK for this is also available)

There might be the odd bug as I've spent a bit of time tidying up today trying to make it more suitable for general use - it prompts for the "Send SMS" permission and also requires that the phone app is set to "Not optimized" (otherwise it doesn't receive the message sent from the Wear OS app). If you run into any problems please drop me an email and I'll be happy to have a look (I don't seem to get email notifications about any replies posted to this forum so it's better to email me directly (my address is on the page above).

Andrew

Reactions: Dannydet
Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
That's correct, I wrote this originally just for myself but thought others might find it useful. I might try putting it on Google Play at some point but I've had to remove SMS functionality from apps I've published to Play in the past, even after I've provided an explanation to Google of why the app uses SMS messaging, so I thought it would be easier to just publish the APK files for now.

Upvote 0
That's correct, I wrote this originally just for myself but thought others might find it useful. I might try putting it on Google Play at some point but I've had to remove SMS functionality from apps I've published to Play in the past, even after I've provided an explanation to Google of why the app uses SMS messaging, so I thought it would be easier to just publish the APK files for now.
Cool, and now that you mention the SMS stuff, yeah, I remember they cracked down on that a few years ago. Makes sense. Good luck and thanks for sharing. This actually seems like something a teen could use as well as my son is beginning spring sports and staying after school.

Reactions: aparkin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones