1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Weather app problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JLeslie, Feb 8, 2011.

1. JLeslie

JLeslie Member

I don't know if this is my fault or not. My Hero is pretty stock except for the apps I've added. I kept the stock main screen with the large clock/weather widget at the top of the screen.

When I would touch the weather part it would open the weather app and I could scroll through all the cities I had added. One of them was the city I live in. I decided this was redundant so I deleted it from the list of cities.

Now the problem. After deleting my city from the list, when I'm at the home screen, there is no weather reporting on the widget, only the clock. Next to where it says "My location" is now blank and if I touch it, it brings up the clock app.

How do I restore this back to how it was with the large digital clock and the current weather right underneath that?

I would try deleting the entire widget but I don't know what widget to add back in its place as none (tried them out on another screen) seem to have the clock/weather combo.

JL

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

It's there, I think its called Clock (HTC), and it's the 3rd one when you scroll right, if i remeber correctly.

3. JLeslie

JLeslie Member

Thanks for the help. I found the widget as you described and added it. I asked me what location I wanted to use as default and I selected "my location". But when the widget got added, the spot under the time next to where it says "My location" is still blank so it's either not picking up the weather or not displaying it for some reason.

If I choose any other city in my list of cities when adding the widget, it displays the weather below the time. It's only my city that it won't display when selecting "my location". For some reason it's not picking up my current location, and that's when GPS enabled.

So the problem remains and I sure would like to get that working properly.

JL

4. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

Have you made any changes to your hero? Besides that, there have been many reports of isues recently with the weather widget, including it reporting strange cities, even European cities to USA users. Maybe give it a day and see if it fixes itself. Keep us posted, and we will look deeper.

5. JLeslie

JLeslie Member

The only changes I've made are to install apps and adjust settings as allowed through the various options in the phone. I haven't done any rooting or anything like that.

It was working fine until I went into the weather app and removed my city from the list of cities that I have to track weather. When I did that it seemed to remove the ability to have my current location displayed on the widget.

In fact for some weeks before that, the location displayed on the weather widget on the homescreen did not change when I went from one place to another but stayed locked on my home city. I think that's why I removed my city from the list to see if that would fix that.

JL

6. JLeslie

JLeslie Member

I figured it out. In an effort to increase security, I had gone into the Location Settings and turned off the ability to allow the network to detect my position. It never occurred to me that it would hamper the weather app and by the time I noticed the weather app behaving oddly I had forgotten about changing the location setting.

So I re-enabled it and now everything is fine. I just wish there was a way to turn off the location tracking without affecting the weather app but I guess those 2 wishes are mutually exclusive.

JL

7. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

AHHH! THAT would do it. Glad you got it resolved!

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews