• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weather widget? Stock Android?

GoodEnough

Nov 25, 2011
I'm running Nougat. v7, on MotoX Pure,
so maybe I think it doesn't have all the vendor ROM fluff pre-installed, right?

How do I get a basic weather widget?
I remember this being part of the base OS.
I do not want to install a 3rd party ad/app.

Last edited:
A weather widget isn't, and never has been, part of the base OS. It may have been part of the ROM on your previous phone, i.e. added to the base OS by the manufacturer, but that sort of thing is up to the manufacturer and so will vary between manufacturers and between software versions and devices within a manufacturer's lineup. Since we don't know what device you have we cannot say more than that.

As Andy says, if you haven't got one you'll have to install a third party one. If it's ads you are worried about then, depending on where on the planet you are, you can probably find one without (either simply ad-free, like the BBC one is here, or one where you can pay a very small amount of money to have no ads).

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Could be, if the phone has it. I assumed the OP was thinking of something like the HTC weather widget my previous phone had, or the Samsung weather widget my tablet has.

Can the Google Feed widget be told just to show weather? My last phone didn't have this, and I can't test on my current phone as I turned Google Assistant off so that widget doesn't do anything at all for me at the moment.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
My phone is a MotoX Pure, so maybe I think it doesn't have all the vendor ROM fluff pre-installed, right?
Right, the Moto phones have very little added 'fluff'. They are really close to straight up vanilla Android. I have never used the Google Now cards/widgets whatever but that certainly be an option for you. I do use the WeatherUnderground app/widget and have zero issues with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones