1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Weather widget theme mods (black and transparent)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whoshotjr2006, Oct 5, 2014.

1. whoshotjr2006

whoshotjr2006 Android Enthusiast

Following a request to look into this in the general LG Volt forums, I did some digging and figured out how they did it over on the G2. This will set your LG Weather widget background to either black or transparent based upon which apk you choose. If anyone wants to know how I did this, just lemme know and Ill post a mini guide in a comment below.

I take no responsibility for you messing your phone up (follow the directions and you will be fine)

NEED:
    Root
    Root browser app of some sort
    USB cable

Transfer either Black-LGWeatherTheme.apk or Transparent-LGWeatherTheme.apk to your internal sdcard, i used adb but you can use mtp/regular plug in phone copy to sdcard method if you want.

Backup your old LGWeatherTheme.apk from /system/app, or dont lol. I didnt, but you can grab a stock copy from the zv4 rom zip if you need it.

Once its on your sdcard, open up a root browser and rename the file to LGWeatherTheme.apk. Then take that apk and copy it to /system/app, set permissions to rw-r-r, and reboot.

Once you reboot, your background for your weather widget will be either black or transparent based upon which apk you chose.

Happy flashing!

Black version
    Black-LGWeatherTheme

Transparent version
    Transparent-LGWeatherTheme

Curtis1973 and chucksaysblah like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. whoshotjr2006

Mine for a writeup on how to do this when I get a chance. Also if anyone wants me to try to theme anything else, lemme know. Im always up for a good challenge.

chucksaysblah likes this.
  3. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Android Enthusiast

Thanks for this I will test it out once i feel like rolling back from the update so i can root.

whoshotjr2006 likes this.
  4. whoshotjr2006

no problem, my pleasure.

one thing though, did you happen to notice if the 2x4 and 1x4 icons on the g2 had transparent backgrounds? the reason i ask is the apks i posted dont, but if you want me to look into it i can. its really easy to do, just takes a little bit of time.

5. chucksaysblah

chucksaysblah Android Enthusiast

icons?

6. smk75

smk75 Member

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the widget sizes.

whoshotjr2006 likes this.
  7. whoshotjr2006

Yep sorry I said icons, meant widgets.

8. bowzerbird

bowzerbird Newbie

Yo Who,

Was looking for info on this widget and glad I found it. Have a Samsung s5 w/the "weather 4x2" widget and really like the images they use for the rain. Figured I could save/download the image as a jpeg but can't find it on the phone. The directory for the widget it is:

com.sec.android.widgetapp.ap.hero.accuweather

Searched for it on the phone but no go. And too afraid to do the "root" thingy, checked into it once before and well, not for me. :eek: ;) :p
    Taking a photo of it w/another camera is kinda useless because it has text on it: date, time, weather, town etc.. And don't want to waste time in Photoshop "fixing" it [though have used PS since the early 90's just want the original].
    Can you help me here? How can I get the image w/o "rooting"?

Appreciate any help you can offer, just please no rooting :eek: :afraid:

Ellen

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews