• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help weather

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
Do app developers think that Android users just want cutesy? Still looking at weather programs and the most usable ones belong to iOS dammit. Accuweather, and a few iOS exclusives have jet stream maps, US front maps, etc. Looking at the pics from Accuweather, Apple's is closest to the web site on a computer. We get stupid movies, stickers, and animals that change color if it rains and crowdreports and social sites. Weatherbug has gone social. Unisys is not available on Android.

To even get close to Accuweather on line , I've had to put a link to the fronts and jet stream page on screen on the Moto.

I had an app on a Sony Clie PDA (Palm) that did most of what the newer astronomy apps do. Most of us who used Palm use that app. Palm died, and the maker switched the format to iOS. He was begged for Android but said writing for Android was too hard. Now we do have top of the line apps like Sky Safari Pro which does all the original Astromist did and more, and we still can't get those 2 maps in an Android weather app?

I've looked at the ones for flight and sail and they are not what I wanted. I've also asked Accuweather a couple of times why Apple gets things that Android doesn't. No reply.

Do app developers think that Android users just want cutesy? Still looking at weather programs and the most usable ones belong to iOS dammit. Accuweather, and a few iOS exclusives have jet stream maps, US front maps, etc. Looking at the pics from Accuweather, Apple's is closest to the web site on a computer. We get stupid movies, stickers, and animals that change color if it rains and crowdreports and social sites. Weatherbug has gone social. Unisys is not available on Android.

To even get close to Accuweather on line , I've had to put a link to the fronts and jet stream page on screen on the Moto.

I had an app on a Sony Clie PDA (Palm) that did most of what the newer astronomy apps do. Most of us who used Palm use that app. Palm died, and the maker switched the format to iOS. He was begged for Android but said writing for Android was too hard. Now we do have top of the line apps like Sky Safari Pro which does all the original Astromist did and more, and we still can't get those 2 maps in an Android weather app?

I've looked at the ones for flight and sail and they are not what I wanted. I've also asked Accuweather a couple of times why Apple gets things that Android doesn't. No reply.

After reading through your rants, what is it that compels you to even use Android? As you're clearly so dissatisfied with Android wouldn't it just be better for your own peace of mind to switch over to Apple?

Upvote 0
Thanks for giving it a try. Any chance you can send me ( joshua.tee@gmail.com ) a screenshot of where you saw the empty drop-down menus?

--Josh

Well I tried it again today and the empty drop-downs are no longer empty.

I bet it's an initialization problem, since it happened when I ran it the first time right after I installed it.

Cheers,
Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones